Thread: camera insurance help please!

camera insurance help please!

Hi everyone, i have just come across a major issue, this being camera insurance. The story goes: I am trying to organise full professional camera insurance for my equipment, and as i bought it second hand and have no receipt apparently i need to get it valued at a reputable photographic outlet. The second problem then is my camera (4x5 Deardorff special) is not for sale and never has been in the UK so no 'reputable photographic outlet' can provide me with a valuation figure! I am at a complete loss, has anyone ever encountered this problem before?? If so how, and does anyone know where in the UK i could get a legal insurance valuation for my equipment?

Kind Regards

Louis

Re: camera insurance help please!

You would be better off going to a standard appraiser I believe, if the first one you call can't help maybe they can point you in the proper direction.

Louis,

Go to e-bay and if you have an account, do an advanced search search on "completed listings". I would recommend doing this on dot com so you see the widest inventory of historical sales.
    Print the data and provide this to your insurance company; it might suffice in evaluating correct purchase value of used equipment. Add to this any VAT or import duties for the UK to get a better approximate. Do the search on their UK site and hope someone had similar items for sale at home.
    I have all my equipment insured through CHUBB here in the USA, but that won't be of much help there.

get a receipt.......a hand written receipt is usually fine......date paid in full the amount sellers signature......

i am sure if you look very very hard in the box in the back of your closet you will fine said receipt! i think you have over looked it....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Somewhere in the world is is for sale. Google to get a value and the show UK pricing with an exchange rate conversion.

www.xe.com/ucc - seems a useful exchange rate site.

Jim Ewins

Some insurance companies offer replacement policies based on your itemized price list with the premium about 10% of the declared value but with a high deductible (about 10%). They reviewed my list with the items piece by piece. It was a rider on my RV policy