Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a small lf get-together in Tucson?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just a small lf get-together in Tucson?

I'm just wondering if anyone in the Tucson area would like to an informal get together. We could use my house in mid-town, (Campbell and Grant area), or wherever. Nothing too ambitious, so not worth traveling any distance to. Any interest, anyone?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: Just a small lf get-together in Tucson?

Hi Mark. My family and I are visiting my folks in Green Valley until July 11. I have a lot of family obligations, and other family members flying in and out, but if the timing worked out it would be interesting to meet someone else that shoots LF. I took my camera with me today to the Desert Museum, but ended up pushing my mother's wheelchair around the whole time. The recent rain made the cacti look odd anyway, and the heat at noon made the prospect of crawling under my darkcloth unappealing...

Cheers, TIm

Perhaps I should post this in the location section, but since we a are on the subject, do you have any suggestions for shooting around Tucson? My wife and I plan to leave the kids with the grandparents one day and climb Mt. Wrightson from Madera Canyon, buty it looks quite a hike and I wonder if it is worth taking my camera. We will leave early in the morning, so if there are good views near the beginning I might have good light, but I expect we will be on the summit around midday, and while there are supposed to be spectacular views from there, I think the overhead light and heat haze might make for very flat photographs.

We also plan to climb Picachio Peak one day. I think early morning light might be best, but unlikely I can get the family there early. Perhaps plan to go at 4:00 PM, climb the peak, then shoot it in the evening light (lit from the west)? That would be cooler anyway.

Also, one day I plan to get up early and shoot up to San Xavier Mission for the morning light, which should be easy to arrange as I guess I will get back before some people even get up.

Cheers, Tim

Hi, Tim! I'll keep you informed if anything comes together. Not sure if we'll get a "critical mass", but we could always just meet for a beer. We'll see if there are any other responses...

The Mt. Wrightson hike is pretty vigorous, especially this time of year, and Picacho will be shorter but hotter and steeper. I'd say a drive up Mt Lemmon might be a good bet. Saguaro National Monument West if you want Sonoran Desert Landscape, (cactus, mesquites, palo verdes, etc.), and Signal Hill has a few nice petroglyphs. Sabino Canyon has a nice creek flowing though cactus and larger trees in a big rocky canyon. And Bisbee is a beautiful old mining town, now more an artists' colony, with a few nice restaraunts if you like funky old architecture. The Pima Air Museum has quite a variety of old aircraft that can make for interesting compositions, espectially close-up...

And yup, San Xavier is a classic work of architecture and culture...

Those are some possibilities that come to mind...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Try Gates Pass at sunset, It is awesome.

J

Yes, Mark, I'm interested. Missed this post, was down Patagonia way last weekend.

How does a week form this Thursday sound? 6-ish or 7-ish pm? Or is a weekend better so we have some daylight?

A week from Thur at 6 is fine for me. I should be able to shoot a couple plates in evening light. But a weekend would work too, mornings are better for me.

Okay, here's the plan... this Thursday, July 9, at 6 pm at my house, but you're welcome to come an hour or so early if you want to do a little photography for the heck of it in the back yard. (I have a decent back yard for that sort of thing...)

Nothing too ambitious, just bring a few prints if you like...

PM me if you need directions, etc.

OK Mark. PM me your address/phone.

Looking forward to it.

Garrett