Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How practical is colour 5x7 these days?

Re: How practical is colour 5x7 these days?

Kodak Portra 160 N is a very nice film and is avilible as a stock item at B&H. Three years ago it was discontinued by Kodak, but then a lab in Needham, MA www.colorservicesinc.com collected "subscribers" and made a special order from Kodak. B&H somehow got the smell of this and has kep it in stock since (probably by special ordering it). Color Services and Praus www.4photolab.com do a fine job of processing it. This is definatly the best way if you want to shoot color 5x7". A good lab in Europe is www.hsldigital.de

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    It's true it's smaller than 5x7, but unless you're contact printing, the quality difference may well be negligible.
    Sorry Will but I have to disagree with you here. There is a big difference between 4x5 and 5x7 wheteher scanning, enlarging or contact printing at least in my experience.

Don Bryant

wfwhitaker

OK, I'll buy that. I was looking at the overall picture of cost, availability, frustration vs. results. But I've never tried it, so it was speculation on my part.

Drew Wiley

It's hard to find labs with the correct dip-and-dunk hangers for 5x7. You could
    process yourself in a Jobo setup however. The color film can be easily cut from 8x10
    sheets if you have a precision trimmer set up. Otherwise you are going to pay a premium or face a limited selection of domestic supply. Badger sometimes carries 5x7
    Velvia.

I say just move to 8x10. Why would you spend the money on 8x10 film just to cut it down to 5x7? What a waste. If you want a lightweight camera, look at the Gowland. My 8x10 weighs less than my Super Graphic 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    I say just move to 8x10. Why would you spend the money on 8x10 film just to cut it down to 5x7? What a waste. If you want a lightweight camera, look at the Gowland. My 8x10 weighs less than my Super Graphic 4x5.
    And where is the waste?

I like my 8x10 but ya know, sometimes 5x7 is what is called for. Contact portraits for example. Take your time setting up a 5x7 portrait and you'll be amazed what you can pull out of that print. I like 8x10 for city landscapes myself.

tim in san jose

Thanks to all for your helpful comments and in particular to Joanna - I will definitely check out the UK LF board. Based on the above I'm not entirely persuaded that colour 5x7 is practical without DIY processing though...