Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball head for view cameras--any leveling shortcuts?

Ball head for view cameras--any leveling shortcuts?

For years I've used medium format and 4X5 cameras, always on a tripod. I use a ball head for a Mamiya 7 or Fuji rangefinder, and a pan-tilt head for my Ebony RSW45 or Wista 45. (My ball head's a Linhof Profi II, the pan-tilt is a Gitzo 1270 magnesium, the tripod's a Gitzo G1227.) I'd prefer to use the ball head for everything, but it can be pretty finicky sometimes leveling the 4X5 with one. I get one axis correct, and the other one's off. Then I correct, which slightly throws the first axis off, etc.
    I'd love to hear about easy leveling methods from those using ball heads with view cameras. Or am I just going to have to live with that problem by giving up separate axis corrections?

Re: Ball head for view cameras--any leveling shortcuts?

The best and cheapest solution would be sticking to the heads you have right now.
    Maybe getting an extra tripod if you hate to swap heads.

An other solution would be is getting a geared head like the Manfrotto 410, it is very presize and fast to adjust in all 3 axes.
    The 410 would take your camera's with ease, I use it for my RB67 and Shen Hao. 4x5.

Peter

I've just started trying things a bit differently with my Cambo mono rail, my levels are on the camera's back.

With the camera movements squared I ignore both levels completely and compose roughly the same way I would with an SLR.

If I like what I see I level the camera right to left (I continue to ignore the front to back bubble).

Finally I use tilt to set front to rear level and swing to finish the job to get parallax looking the way I want.

Peter, I have been using the same Arca B2 head since 1997 with every camera made. I do believe that it might support a Mack truck and keep it square on the tripod.

The B2 is now supporting an SW810 Ebony - it takes literally under 10 seconds to square the body - and it stays put.

Yes, I agree--a good ball head should be able to level a camera as well as a pan-tilt head, and I like the compactness of a ball head. And the Profi II can easily handle the weight of my cameras. I'm wondering more about methods people use with them. Do you think it's just a matter of practice and familiarity? For example, do you adjust the tension on your B2 so it's not too slack? Or do you prefer it loose? Also, do you try for one axis at a time, or everything at once?

Good to hear that Robert, I never got used to ball-heads for LF.
    Choosing a head is allways a personal thing, something you have to find out for your self what kind suits you best.

Regards,
    Peter

Peter, I realise your using 5x4 but this might be worth a shot.
    I struggled with the 8x10 on top of a ball head, until I realised where I was going wrong. At first I would try to compose by holding the bed of the camera in various ways... all unpredictable and uncomfortable. Now I use the carry strap on top of the rear standard to move and position the camera. Using this method I have no fear of the camera flopping over, its all very smooth and stable to operate. With the right tension set on the head (as stiff as poss while allowing smooth movement) I find it easy to position the camera via the strap with the left hand with the right hand under the bed ready to lock down the head.
    Poetry unintentional:-}

It sounds that you have worked out a good methode with your ball head.

I am doing architecture only (and some landscape..) and have found the 410 the easiest for ME.
    I even have the Vapo stand for my Sinar P2, but I am thinking of replacing it with a 405 or 400 greared head: the sheer weight of the Vapo + the heaviest Linhof 3 way head (verry little known) is driving ne into that direction as age (mine) starts to feel.

Peter

Fred Picker used to moan constantly about how hard ball heads were to use with LF. I think he's right - I want to control only one plane at a time, and a ball head is tough.

That said, I use a ball head with my 35mm on a monopod and swear by it (rather than at it). It's wonderful. But that's an entirely different approach to photography, IMIHO.

Good luck!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I'm with Robert on this. The B2 will support whatever camera you want, adjust in one plane at a time and never move.