Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How practical is colour 5x7 these days?

How practical is colour 5x7 these days?

I have been shooting 5x4 for a little while, and it's great. But... I really like the 5x7 aspect ratio.

The good news - my lenses cover 5x7 with some movements, and I can get a 5x7 conversion kit for my 5x4. So in principle I could step up fairly easily.

The bad news - 5x7 colour film is hard to find (although not impossible), or you can cut 10x8. 5x7 double darks are really hard to find. 5x7 processing isn't that easy either - I'm in the UK, and my favourite labs don't offer it (although I believe there are others that do).

My question to the wiser and more experienced folk is: do the difficulties make 5x7 colour impractical, or can one get over the issues with a reasonable amount of effort? (I know 5x7 B&W is easier, but that isn't my bag.)

Many thanks.

Re: How practical is colour 5x7 these days?

Acheron,

if you want to shoot color in 5×7", it's not exactly easy to get the film. One possible way is my way: a 5×8" Chamonix camera (though I understand the aspect ratio of 5×7" and 5×8" is slightly different...).

As you have noted yourself, color 8×10" film is more easily obtainable - and if you can cut the film yourself for 5x8", it's not more expensive per frame than 5x7", usually slightly less. But you would have to process the film yourself.

In the Chamonix I use these formats (with one back and a simple DIY addition): 5x8" for color and BW, 5x7"/13x18cm/4¾×6½" for BW. I think you can not find more universal camera (with only one back. Obviously not considering having different reduction backs) - you can read a bit about the camera here.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Acheron, have you also considered using the UKLFPG forums www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum? We are an amiable bunch of LF photographers, based in the UK and organising get-togethers and workshops (mainly for free), and where you will get a more UK-centric view of the LF world
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

AP, thee who looks, finds....
    Film: Japanexposures.com (formerly, "Megaperls"), a bit pricey, but they have more than one type. Otherwise: B&H (Color neg only), Badgergraphic.com (Provia100f only)....
    Processing: If you don't have any luck in the UK, Repro35, Merrion Sq. Dublin does it beautifully.
    Holders: Aplenty on the used market (I recently bought about 20, cheap). If you want new, e.g. Badgergraphic comes to mind.
    Best,
    Carsten
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Maybe the labs can process 5x7 but just don't publicise it because there's so little demand? It's probably worth asking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Maybe the labs can process 5x7 but just don't publicise it because there's so little demand? It's probably worth asking them.
    Any lab that uses those clip racks for 4x5 should also be able to do 5x7, you just put the film in sideways, since each frame takes two 4x5 in "portrait".
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Between here and there

Also check out 13x18 cm film and holders, which probably are easier to get in Europe.

I was surprised to see 5x7 160 NC listed at B&H. Last I heard, they'd discontinued the stuff. Did they change their minds?

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron Photography View Post
    I have been shooting 5x4 for a little while, and it's great. But... I really like the 5x7 aspect ratio...
    While 5x7 is a nice aspect ratio, for color work my inclination would be to continue to shoot 4x5, but compose and crop for the longer aspect ratio, which would be about 3.6x5. It's true it's smaller than 5x7, but unless you're contact printing, the quality difference may well be negligible. And look at all the hassles you avoid! Film is much more readily available, as are film holders. Negative storage remains the same and you can use the equipment you already have. You'd just need to mark your ground glass with crop lines for your new "format".

Or did I miss your point?
    Last edited by wfwhitaker; 25-Jun-2009 at 08:26.

there was a thread about this some time back and it seems some people are happy to cut 10x8 to 5x7. Obviously there is some film wasted and you have to pay the 10x8 premium, but if you want 5x7 quality without going to 10x8, then it is an option.