Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone system question

Zone system question

I was leafing through Ansel Adams The Negative at my local bookstore, and looked at some of the many examples he gives when describing the zone system. He often would start of the description by stating, for example, " the church roof fell on zone VIII" or " The dark shadow fell on zone III". Does he not place the church roof on zone VIII? Or place another value so the roof falls on zone VIII. I hope this question makes sense, and perhaps it's just semantics, but I just want to clarify so I am not missing something.
    Thanks

wfwhitaker

Re: Zone system question

Exposure affects low values first; development affects high values first. It's more common to meter for the lowest value in which you want detail and then see where the high values fall (as in your example). Development can be adjusted to keep the high values in range and in a logical placement. In a sense, you are placing the high values through development, although it's secondary to placing the low values through exposure.

Octogenarian

He read the darkest shadow with his spot meter and placed it on Zone III. Then he read the brightest area in the scene and found that it fell on Zone VIII.

That indicated a six stop spread. Well within the capability of the film he was using. He would then use N (normal) development.

If it was a wider or shorter spread of zones, he would increase or decrease his development time to adjust the contrast of the negative. (N+1, N-1, etc.).

Thanks very much. Thats what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    He read the darkest shadow with his spot meter and placed it on Zone III.
    To clarify, he placed the darkest shadow that he wanted to show texture on Zone III. Zone II would be a really dark and textureless gray, while Zone I is black itself also without texture.

Bruce Watson

As the others have said, the low values come first.

As a general proposition, if you badly underexpose the shadows or low values, there will be little or no usable data on the film. If you try to print it lighter, it will be only empty gray, with no details or texture.

However, there are some special techniques where we leave the film to "stand" in the developer for a very long time, with minimal agitation, often with diluted developer. With those techniques, the developer works on the low values for a long time, and brings out details which would be ordinarily lost.

What keeps the medium and high values from getting too dense? The trick is minimum agitation: the developer in the vicinity of medium and high values gets exhausted quickly, and stops working. Meanwhile, development proceeds in the underexposed areas. This is known as a "compensating" effect: only the low values get extra development. Some developers do a better job with "stand" development than others.

Octogenarian

Darkest area that still shows some detail= Zone III.

I assumed that everyone knew that.

Sorry Bruce. I'll try not to assume anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Darkest area that still shows some detail= Zone III.

I assumed that everyone knew that.

Sorry Bruce. I'll try not to assume anything anymore.
    We all make assumptions. The OP asked a newbie-ish question that included the phrase "The dark shadow fell on zone III". This made me assume that he did not know that the Zone System defines "dark shadow" and "dark shadow showing texture" as being different things, to be placed on different zones.

You made the assumption that he did know.

Between the two of us, we got it covered. That's what this forum is all about isn't it? What's not to like?

Bruce Watson

Lachlan 717

Does the opposite apply to using Zone with transparencies (i.e. expose for the highlights and adjust development for the shadows)?

I've never considered this for positives...

Lachlan

When you place one value, the other values fall.

Does that make sense?