Thread: Anti-Newton Glass

Anti-Newton Glass

After being Impressed by the photography of Lynn Radeka I've been toying with th e idea of building a masking kit. He (she?) states that he sometimes uses a regi stration carrier made with anti-newton glass and sometimes not. My question is, other than the price of the glass is there any reason to not use anti-newton gla ss? And, should you use it for both pieces of glass or just the bottom? Also, if anyone has any suggestions, comments or experiances in this area, please relate . Thanks

Anti-Newton Glass

I haven't used the anti-newton glass, but I often use two pieces of regular glass when printing odd-size negs full frame. I have no problems with rings if I run masking tape around the edges of each piece so that the thickness of the tape keeps the pieces just slightly separated yet still hold the neg flat. Once I had rings when I had just vigorously rubbed the glass with a paper towel to remove a smudge, and the static electricity caused the neg to stick and create rings. An anti-static brish should help with that.

Anti-Newton Glass

Rob -

You use anti-Newton glass on the top (in contact with the base side of the film) only, NOT the bottom (emulsion side of the film). AN glass has a fine texture to its surface that will visibly degrade the print if the image is projected through it...

Anti-Newton Glass

Rob I use anti Newton glass both top and bottom in my DeVere neg. carrier withou t a hint of texture from the etched lower surface. However caution is called for this was not the case when I used a Meopta enlarger. There was a pronounced tex tured image when using a lower AN glass. This is a case for try it and see. Regards,

Anti-Newton Glass

Thanks for your responses. I wonder if the artifacts of AN glass are less apparent when using a diffusion type enlarger. I've heard that dust spots show up less with this type of enlarger vs a condensor type of enlarger. I don't understand how it could make a difference but what do I know. I'm also wondering if these lines would be apparent when making the mask since this is essentially a contact print made with film instead of paper.

Anti-Newton Glass

I have used an Omega 4x5 diffusion enlarger for years. Its the only way to go, especially for color. The reason the dust shows up less is because light is projected through the neg from all angles up to about 135deg. A condenser enlarger focuses the light all to shine through the neg from basically one angle. This means that the dust spot casts quite a distinct shadow whereas with the diffusion enlarger the light is diffused, hence the name. The diffusion light then, allows the lens alone to resolve the image, therefore, if the dust is on the other (base) side of the neg it practically dissappears. However, if it is on the emulsion side, it will usually still be somewhat visible.