Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

LF or not? Trip advice needed...

Hello everybody...

I'm finally taking my dream vacation to Yosemite/Eastern Sierras in early August. I'm really excited but am having trouble deciding which camera(s) to take with me on the trip. For the longest time my goal has been set on taking the 5x7 Canham with the 150, 240 and 450 lenses and the Ries J100 tripod.

But I've also thought about taking my Mamiya Rb67 ProS with a 50, 127 and 180 lens setup and Bogen 3021 tripod.

A friend of mine who is also a large format photographer suggested that I forego the Mamiya and take only the large format. He says that I will encounter perspective issues with the Mamiya that can only be solved with the large format and feels that I will regret not having the 5x7 if I only take the Mamiya.

I thought about taking both but wonder how I'll cart all this stuff. I also worry about being too bogged down and unfocused by trying to shoot two different formats.
    My goal was to shoot 5x7 negs for contact printing (and possible enlarging) in silver and also 5x7 negs for platinum/palladium printing. The Mamiya could serve as a "backup" for silver enlarging.

Do you think this is too much to try and juggle in a 14 day trip? Which camera(s) would you take and why?

Re: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

It's a "dream vacation" and, as such, I'd say (if you can manage it) take both kits with you. You have 14 days of fun ahead of you.

First day or two after you get there... take the RB out for a walk and do some shooting with it. Then, the following day, take the 5x7 out and replicate those shots that require LF.

We were just down in Cannon Beach, Oregon a week and a half ago. Although I managed to take a few 4x5 shots... it was just too windy. So, I was glad I had the use of a friends' Rollei TLR to shoot alongside the LF.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have a fun trip.

Cheers

PS: Be sure to read John Kassian's (and others) comments on Yosemite in the following thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=49551
    Life in the fast lane!

Take the 5x7. Keep things simple.

Take both with you, but only take one kit with you at a time. (if you will have access to secure storage).

It all depends on what you want, and what works for you. No one here can make that decision for you.

I can tell you what works for me, and that's sticking with a single format. I carry that farther than most in that I only have the one camera. I did this because I found that switching formats for me is like switching back and forth between the sports car and my wife's truck. Different vehicles with different strengths and weaknesses, but it takes some "drive time" to get back in the grove with either one. So it is with formats for me. And with photography, I don't want to have to waste a day or two getting back into the grove when I switch formats.

So if it were me, I'd pick one format and stick with it. But clearly you aren't me, therefore YMMV.

Bruce Watson

I would share my experience. I was for 3 weeks on New Zealand and had to decide whether to take 4x5 or SOME MF stuff as I was limited on the luggage amount/weight. I should also mention that this trip was not a dedicated photography trip. It was more of delayed honeymoon and I am just lucky that my wife does photograph too, but we wanted to see many places so some compromise needed to be found between photography and traveling/hiking.

I went with a full (although lightweight) 4x5 equipment, Rolleiflex T and small 35mm p&s. Often there was not enough time to use the 4x5 or the weather conditions (wind, rain) would make it very hard to photograph with 4x5. The Rolleiflex was faster and more fool-proof (focusing) and much easier to use under less-than-optimal conditions. Once I was back I had 30 (only!) 4x5 slides and 7 120 films exposed.

This experience let me to conclusion that should I go for a similar trip in the future, a 6x7 SLR plus a 35mm or 645 rangefinder may be more suitable option to bring more good shots home.

Now back you your trip: It depends on your style and subject how much you need the adjustments the LF camera offers you. But with 6x7 you will probably be faster and in the end you may end up with somewhat smaller, but more numerous negatives.

If you are not limited on the gear amount/weight that take both and switch on a trip basis and after few days you will get the feeing which to take to which trip/place.

Caveat: I have up to now exposed cca 200 4x5 sheets but also 50 120 films - so I have still to learn to become faster and more effective with the 4x5. The above mentioned trip of mine was first-of-the-kind experience for me.
    Matus

To a large degree, how your traveling and how much surplus space you have, influences the answer to the question you pose.

Big film usually wins over small film in my case. Though my choices are 4x5 and 35mm film.

bob

Space, when we travel in our Jeep wrangler I take one system. If we vacation with the truck, I take two systems.

Now, I don't try to drag both around when actually shooting. But, it has been nice to have a choice of system based on where we are and what we want to shoot.

Mike

Octogenarian

No need to take both outfits. An RB67 is quite heavy to carry and hand hold. Traveling with two tripods could prove to be a PITI.

You mention wanting to do contact printing and platinum/palladium printing. That makes 5X7 your first choice.

I use a similar 5X7 kit and realize what it takes to transport it over long distances. Opportunities for nice LF shots at a place like Yosemite are rare unless you hike away from the beaten path.

Take the 5X7 outfit in some sort of roller bag for B&W and a small digicam for color snapshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Take both with you, but only take one kit with you at a time. (if you will have access to secure storage).
    This.

I love my my RB67 Pro-S and really need to get more lenses for it.

I'd take some Pro 160S or Reala 100 for the RB67, and/or some Astia 100F if you can get it, lovely stuff

"No need to take both outfits. An RB67 is quite heavy to carry and hand hold. Traveling with two tripods could prove to be a PITI."

An RB67 is not heavy unless you're taking a bunch of other stuff with you as well.