Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: serial #s and dates for hermagis and voigtlander?

serial #s and dates for hermagis and voigtlander?

hi all,

i am searching for dates to correspond with my serial #s for my hermagis lens as well and my collection of voigtlanders. anyone got a list? can you point me in the right direction? i have a partial list for the voigtlanders till 1890 (#37000) but i need some after that.

thanks

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Re: serial #s and dates for hermagis and voigtlander?

I would love to see a hermagis correspondence, but a Voigtlander is here: http://static.photo.net/attachments/...s-22142384.pdf

There are more Voigtlander date matches in this list: http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html He also has the two major American petzval makes, and Dallmeyer.

I've noted there are no date lists for Darlot, Hermagis, Lerebours, (I don't think Derogy). Interesting all these French lenses are unknown for mfg dates.

I have some data on Jamin and Jamin & Darlot lenses....let me dig it up and I will post it...

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

thanks so far. i use and love this site :

http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

from above all the time. i just need more dates for voiugtlander and some for hermagis as they are no listed.

basically my giant hermagis is serial #9700 and i wanted to get an idea how old it really is. i am thinking 1860s....maybe sooner.

thanks

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    I have some data on Jamin and Jamin & Darlot lenses....let me dig it up and I will post it...

Dan
    thanks dan. love your site. very helpful.

i have a jamin darlot that "they" say dates to 1860 -61 with both names on it. on the flint lens it is signed by darlot and is dated 1863. maybe he was making newer glass for existing barrel, or maybe "they" are wrong.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

The myth that J-D only made lenses from 1860-61 has been pretty much debunked. If it says 1863, I'd take that as authoritative.

Most references to Jamin, Jamin&Darlot and early Darlot come from the attached table regarding Cone Centralisateur lenses from R. Kingslake. I would assume these dates are VERY close to being accurate given that they could verify addresses and dates when Jamin transitioned the business to Darlot. Also, just because it says 1863 on the lens doesnt mean that is a manufacture date ( although it could mean that ), it could be the date the lens was opened (post manufacture), repaired or even inventoried. Regardless, if its 1861 or 1863, I am not sure matters all that much to anyone but us camera / lens nuts

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

thanks again dan. mine is a cone lens.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

It's true that the date written on the lens could be something other than the date of manufacture, but normally a craftsman would date his work when it was completed, not when it was inventoried, sold, etc. That's up to speculation, but I have seen cone lenses with dates written along the edge of the element from 1864 and that would be a long time after manufacturing to finally get the lens out. Mostly, however, it has been pointed out that supply houses were publishing catalogs with them labeled as "Jamin" lenses way after 1861. There may have been other reasons for that, such as a lack of information amongst the buyers here in the US as to the name change. If they wanted to buy Jamin lenses, better to advertise them as such, right? Whatever the case, they were some mean lenses that still take some amazing pics, so it doesn't really make a difference in the long run.