Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shameless plugs – Yosemite Backcountry Book, Exhibit, Workshop

Shameless plugs – Yosemite Backcountry Book, Exhibit, Workshop

When the brown truck delivered my advance copy of First Light: Five Photographers Explore Yosemite’s Wilderness yesterday, I decided I couldn’t not crow about it.

The book is a quiet testament to Yosemite’s wilderness, photography and friendship; a wonderful win, win, win, win… collaboration between the park, two of its non-profit park partners (The Yosemite Fund and The Yosemite Association), the park’s guest service provider (Delaware North), The Ansel Adams Gallery, and five photographers, (Charles Cramer, Karl Kroeber, Scot Miller, Mike Osborne and myself).

Five years of two-week backcountry expeditions are distilled into 132 pages with 75 color reproductions (15 from each of us) interspersed with excerpts from our journals.

A book-signing, artists’ reception will be held from 6-9pm on Friday, July 17 at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite to celebrate its release and accompanying exhibit (July 9, 2009 - August 19, 2009).

On Saturday and Sunday, the same weekend, Charles Cramer and I are teaching a lecture-style class in Yosemite Valley, Making a Photograph: From Field to Print.
    The class presents highlights from the 3-5 day workshops that we typically conduct for the Ansel Adams Gallery. Note: The block of rooms set aside for the class has already been assigned, but there is still space for additional attendees and the schedule was deliberately set to permit travel time to the park from outlying areas.

Re: Shameless plugs – Yosemite Backcountry Book, Exhibit, Workshop

Congratulations, Keith! Well-deserved.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Yes, a hearty congrats to you, Keith, and to all involved! I might be able to see the show in early August...I hope I will be able to.

I wish I could attend the opening and the workshop. The workshop sounds particularily worthwhile. But I will be somewhere else in the country -- on the road with the family on a cross-country camping adventure. No room in the minivan for the 8x10...those three boys of mine are growing! But I'll have my new-to-me 5x7 ready to go and I'll be thinking of you as we cross the wilderness of Middle America!

Good luck with it all, and I look forward to buying/seeing a copy of the book!

Vaughn

A good shameless plug it is. Congratulations!!!!!!

Congratulations Keith!!! You have extraordinary and intimate knowledge of Yosemite - seeing what you've decided to contribute to such a project will be very enlightening and, I'm sure, inspiring.

I hope to visit YNP at least once this year, but July 17th is a wee bit hot for me.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Keith, this is awesome! Congrat's to all of you. What a great project. May be tough for me to get there but if I can I would love to see this fantastic work.

Jim

Thanks all for your comments. This was/is a wonderful project. Great company, good cause, a subject close to my heart. The book is beautifully designed. The journal entries, especially those by Karl, add another dimension to the experience. I've rarely been inclined to read the text of most photo books. This one is special.

Additional dates have been added to the ongoing celebration.

August 29, Karl Kroeber will make a slide presentation on the project at 2 pm at Parson's Lodge in Tuolumne Meadows.

Saturday, September 19 from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
    The five of us will all be at Sun to Moon Gallery in Dallas, Texas, where our work will be on display through October 17 (www.suntomoon).

And I just found out this week that we all will be in Tuolumne Meadows October 3 for the Yosemite Association members meeting.

Paul Cocklin

How would one order the book if we can't make the events? Congratulations too, btw!

We'll be signing some copies for Yosemite Association, The Yosemite Fund, The Ansel Adams Gallery, Sun to Moon which should be available through their respective on-line retail sites. (yosemite.org, anseladams.com, heydaybooks.com [the actual publisher], yosemitepark.com [buys from YA], suntomoon.com) I believe YF will only offer them as premiums to donors who contribute at a specified level.

The book is also listed on Amazon.com

Note: As I mentioned above, the Yosemite Fund will likely offer the books as premiums for donations. I understand that a small number of hardcovers are being printed that will be part of a limited edition, numbered set used for premiums by the Yosemite Fund. Sun to Moon will also have a small supply of hardcovers. These are supposed to be very limited quantities.

Friday's book-signing coming up fast!

A promo just posted on youtube today by Scot Miller, one of the participating photogs in the project, and owner of Sun to Moon Gallery, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHBmVNwB3I

BTW, the accompanying music is by The Dodos, (Meric Long and Logan Kroeber, participating photog Karl's son).