Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your first (LF) shot

Re: Post your first (LF) shot

First Large Format photo Ektar 100 by NGUSS, on Flickr

This is mine, nothing great. After taking my first 2 photos I dropped the box of film on the floor when I went to reload the film holders which came open in the light and ruined the rest of the box. Most expensive photo I ever took.

My first LF shot was a very long time ago when I was just a teen. Plus I went through a divorce and three floods. Nothing remains.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Nguss View Post

First Large Format photo Ektar 100 by NGUSS, on Flickr

This is mine
    Tyneside is a great place to shoot. So many options, both of the river and the architecture around it. Only "decent" (read film) camera I've had whilst there was an Xpan; love to have a LF next time...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

My first two LF shots don't show! In the darkness in the basement I did not really know what I was doing and didn't realize there was a thin sheet of paper between each sheet of film. So I happily loaded the film holder with the pieces of paper. After all the care of composition and exposure, not to mention the hour-long standing development in Rodinal, all that remained was a piece of very wet (and probably surprised) piece of black paper at the bottom of the developing tank. It turned out that the second exposure of the day, on the other "film" in the holder, was also a bummer.

A new try a couple of days later resulted in this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stlf 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	72748

And with details like this I am very happy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stlf 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	72749

Camera is unknown but lens is a xenar 150/4.5 and the format is 4"x5". My scanner only do 6 cm wide strips at most so I stitch with DoubleTake.

My first exposed and processed 4x5 photograph taken on my Toyo C Monorail Camera with a Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulon Lens on Kodal Tri-X 320 and rated at ISO 640 the exposure was 1/15th Sec at f32. This was Semi-Stand processed in Caffenol CL (1.4g of KBr) @21 degrees C using the Taco Method of 4x 4x5 films in a Paterson Universal Tank with constand agitation for the 1st 30 seconds and 3 inversions of the tank after a following 2, 4, 8, 18 minutes with the Caffenol drained out after a further 40 minutes. After 4 tanks of water constantly agaitated the films were fixed with an Alkali fixer for 4 minutes. After washing the films for 8 minutes they were hung up to dry in my film dryer.

The film was then scanned using an Epson V750 scanner using the Epson dual 4x5 film holder and Silverfast 8 64 bit AI Studio. The films were scanned at 3200 dpi which gave a 16 bit, 340MB image (14912 x 11825). The image has been worked upon in Photoshop CS5 and also some localised processing using the control points in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

I got the inspiration for this image when looking through Ansel Adam's The Camera (trying to make sense of how the monorail camera works) and seeing an image of 'Boards & Thistles' when I realised that I had something a little similar at the bottom of my garden (for garden read 'jungle').

Although this was my first developed 4 x 5 sheet of film (actually 1 of 4 but 1st exposed and safely stored), I have to confess that I had tried 2 previous exposures (both in the same film holder and both ruined) on this subject as I had managed to insert the films into the dark slide groove and after exposing the films could not get the dark slides back into their slot, a lesson learned. I have also learned how difficult it is to get the film out of a Fidelity Deluxe DDS whilst I had no trouble at all with the Fidelity Elite DDS.

The negative has a fantastic range of tones and I am really pleased that after my recent trials with the Caffenol CL and Semi-Stand development gave me the knowledge to expose this film rated at 1 stop higher than the box speed.

Using the monorail camera seems a steep learning curve even with my previous experience with my Canon Tilt/Shift lenses and my Fuji GX680 cameras. It engenders a much slower way of working and requires serious thought on the photographer of what he is trying to acheive, not least because each frame of Tri X costs over £1 (1.5ish euros/dollers).

Old Garage Window, Brambles and Boards

Old Garage Window, Brambles and Boards by Ed Bray, on Flickr

Peter

Nice one Ed. Wonderful range of tones. Congratulations!

Peter

Really nice Ed, great tones in that one.

Thanks Lachlan 717, Tyneside is nice, there are loads of places to go. I will have to get out properly with the camera soon. It is only about 7 mins away but I never seem to go.

Thanks Gents, I'm sure I will revisit it again when the light is better, especially since it's only 40 yards from my back door.

My first was in the mid '80s. Before I purchased a Toyo 45A (now sold in favour of a Chamonix,) I briefly used a Bender 4x5 that I built from kit, of course. I can't remember the lens for this shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6983503067_52ef8e0641_z.jpg  

My first ever LF shot was an action shot...

Frisbee Girl - Xenotar 150/2.8 @ 2.8 and Ektachrome 100 Plus on a Chamonix 045-N2:

Larger (12.5 megapixel, 20 megabyte) version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/genotyp...737153/sizes/o