Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6X9 View Camera For Landscapes

6X9 View Camera For Landscapes

Bob,

Having just gone through the process of buying (and investing heavily) in a 4x5 Ebony and a range of lenses, I agree with what the above posters have said, but I'd like to add that the Ebony 4x5 > 6x9 adapter can also be used easily on the 4x5 version of the cameras allowing the swing-out feature for the GG and the use of the a 6x9 roll film holder and if you want to shoot 4x5 or 6x12 in the future, . . ."Guess I'm becoming a more serious landscape photographer ....." and it's likely you will, I'd suggest you get the 4x5 version.

The difference in weight between the 6x9 & 4x5 versions is negligible but you can grow with the 4x5.

There are some excellent reviews of the various 6x9 and 4x5 cameras available, on Tuan's LF web site, if you haven't already looked there.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/listcameras.html

Good luck with your choice.

Kind regards

Peter Brown

Thank you so much for your replies - All of you are helping me tremendously with my decision. I think I know what I want but still have a few questions.(I have'nt gotten my Stroeble book yet!).....

My primary use for this camera is landscape, with some architectural thrown in. (I am an advid Civil War Battlefield visitor, and 90% of my photography are battlefields and related historical buildings)As I have no plans to shoot sheet film, I've decided on either an Ebony 23S, or an SW23 (Do I really need the additional back movements that the 23S has over the SW23?)I really like the aspect ratio of 6X9, so I plan on sticking with this format. Here are my questions:

1) I know I need "Linhof-Type" lensboards. Any brands / types better than the others, or all they all the same? Would the typical layman such as myself have any technical problems mounting the lens on the board?

2) The myriad of LF lenses boggle my mind! I want to start with a lens that will give me the same "view" as the 65mm Fujinon in my GSW690III. Which one should I get? Do the Fujinon LF lenses have the same EBC as their MF counterparts? Should I go with a Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon, or Fujinon? I'm REALLY confused .....

3) What 6X9 rollfilm back should I get? Seems Horseman is the one most recommended. Are there any significant differences between the various makes and models?

4) And finally, what else will I REALLY need? I know I need a focusing hood and loupe. What else?

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

Regards - Bob

Have you thought about Linhof? Then you could use the rangefinder also when needed. Make sure the camera you choose takes the range of lenses you will need ....does it have sufficent bellows extention to accomplish this...or extention rails/lensboards.Also remember that roll backs are a real pain to use....because of extra weight...and so many things to do in succession...1-focus/compose image,2-remove gg back,3-attach roll back,4-wind frame/film,5-cock shutter,6-stop down,7-remove darkslide,8-take pic,9-put darkslide back,10-remove film back,11-put gg back on again! It will become automatic after awhile but messing up is a ever present reality with rollbacks and view cameras. Having said that the Ebony 2x3 sounds cool....I love my Linhof 2x3 though...very smooth and quality build for a lifetime of use.

1) I know I need "Linhof-Type" lensboards. Any brands / types better than the others, or all they all the same? Would the typical layman such as myself have any technical problems mounting the lens on the board?

If you have enough money to buy an Ebony go ahead and buy the Ebony or Linhof boards.

2) The myriad of LF lenses boggle my mind! I want to start with a lens that will give me the same "view" as the 65mm Fujinon in my GSW690III. Which one should I get?

get a 65mm, same format, same view. I like Rodenstock and NikkorSW over Schneider. can't speak to the Fujinon wide angle lenses.

Do the Fujinon LF lenses have the same EBC as their MF counterparts?

IF they are current, yes. Talk to the nice people at Badger graphics about Fuji LF lenses.

3) What 6X9 rollfilm back should I get? Seems Horseman is the one most recommended. Are there any significant differences between the various makes and models?

Does anyone else curerently make 6x9 cm backs for 6x9 view cameras?

4) And finally, what else will I REALLY need? I know I need a focusing hood and loupe. What else?

A polaroid back, adecent tripod, a spot meter, decent cable releases (I use Linhof)... get a 4x or 5x loupe for focusing more powerful loupes will work against you., a 100mm width filter holder/ lens shade combination .

Robert, If you've decided on the 6x9 format then definitley go for the Ebony SW23 (the S is more cash and you won't need the extra back movements for what you describe). Combine this with a Horseman 6x9 back and spend the cash you've saved on the "S" on either a Schneider or Rodenstock 65mm lens. You'll need a tripod (go for a carbon fibre) a spotmeter (look at the Sekonic L508) a loupe (try the silvestri tilting loupe)and a cloth. Mounting lenses is a cinch, just make sure you get hold of a lens wrench (either a Toyo or better still a Rodenstock). Make sure you get a lens board that is drilled for the correct size shutter (in this case, a Size 0 I believe).To mount it you unscrew the rear lens elements from the shutter assembly. You then unscrew a small screw that protrudes from the base of the shutter and throw it (the screw not the shutter!!!).The shutter has a retaining ring that has small notches cut into it (for the wrench). Remove the retaining ring and place the front elements and shutter in the hole on the panel and the retaining ring screws onto the thread of the shutter (through the rear of the lens board). Tighten carefully with the wrench and then carefully screw the rear lens assembly into the shutter. Sounds complicated but its not!! Get a load of 120 film and "Bob's your uncle!!" You've spent a small fortune but you won't invest in a better set up. Regards Paul

Among many formats I have used for years, the Horseman's ER-1 is the roll film system I use for movement. For sheet film I jumped up to 5x7. I dislike the hassle of sheet film and the time it uses up, but I'm more forgiving when I see the results. For the most part I use medium format for spontaneity and the larger format when I can anticipate the shot. Most of my rewarding images come on the fly so I much prefer the medium format. In regards to the limitation of using a 47mm with the Horseman, you do not have to chop-up your box with the ER-l (I've never used the VHR or other models) but on mine it is possible by leaving the lens tucked into the body and dropping the lens rail. Focussing is a bit of a pain, you must pinch the releases that slide the lens forward and back since the focusing knobs work only on the lens rail only, to which you dropped out of the way. Another tip I have not seen others use with the 2x3 viewing is jewelers glasses (the one's that are shaped like regular glasses except with magnification) In so doing this creates two hot spots on the viewing glass which spreads more brightens across the viewing glass. There are lighter weight 4x5s out there than this 6x9.