Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating Between Two Monitors

Debating Between Two Monitors

I'm going to replace the el-cheapo monitor that came with my new Dell computer with a better 24" monitor because for the first time with any monitor I can't get it calibrated to a point that it closely matches my prints. I'm debating between two monitors, the HP LP2475W for about $500 and the NEC 2490WUXi for about $1,100.

Both have gotten excellent reviews. The HP would be a no-brainer because of the cost difference except for one extensive review of it that basically said the color fidelity wasn't very good out of the box but was excellent when calibrated. I of course calibrate my monitors (Spyder Pro III) but I'm still a little concerned about this aspect of the HP. I wonder what would happen if I didn't get the calibration just right using the Spyder.

The NEC has its own calibration system as I understand it and several people in different forums have raved about how great it is. I can afford the higher price but I hate to pay $600 more if I wouldn't notice any difference between the two monitors once the HP was calibrated. I should also mention that the color fidelity aspect of the HP was discussed in only one review, other reviews that gave it very high marks didn't mention this. But the one that did was by far the most extensive, detailed test/review of it that I've read so I tend to put more faith in it than in the more cursory reviews.

A couple other points. I want 24", not some other size. I can't go to a store and do a comparison test of them, they aren't carried locally as far as I've been able to tell. And my only concern with a monitor is its use for photography. I don't care how good or bad it is for games, web viewing, etc.

Anyone's experience with either of these monitors or thoughts in general would be appreciated.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Debating Between Two Monitors

It's not just whether it will calibrate, it's also how long will it remain calibrated. And the biggest issue is the actual gamut. There is - usually - a good reason why some monitors cost a grand more than the others.

I'd say go for the NEC if you can afford it, especially since it comes with its own calibration system.

But before you do, you might also want to at least look at Eizo FlexScan SX2461W - it is a bit more expensive than the NEC ($1300-$1500) but it can display 95% Adobe RGB vs. NECC's 76%. Both have 12-bit LUTs, both have good reputation, but EIZO was always a league of its own.

bdkphoto

The NEC is an excellent monitor, I've been using the 2690wuxi for a year and a half. The SpectraView software/hardware calibration works really well. I would get it with the bundled SpectraView profiling package. I would also consider the 26" version as it has a larger color gamut (90+%) of Adobe 1998RGB. I believe that the new 2690wuxiII is out now, so the older 2690wuxi prices are probably several hundred $ less than the current model.

I know of no monitor in the $500 price range that is competitive with the NEC, Eizos etc.

Brian,

I too have been struggling with deciding to upgrade from two crt monitors (one a la cie), and have been reading many reviews online. Seeing any of these is also not possible as they are not carried locally. I have focused on the 25.5/26 inch size for various reasons, and considered going larger (27 in) but the dot pitch also increases.

I narrowed it down to the Dell Ultrasharp, Samsung Syncmaster, and the Nec. I am leaning more to the Nec because the specs are slightly better, it has a 4 yr warranty, 12 bit lookup table for color, better color response when "waking up", and because it supposedly holds the calibration longer. Another factor is that I can buy it with the profiling package; and although I have a Spyder I, I want to make profiling less of a chore. I only do B/W!

The extra cost of the NEC is a concern (one of the cheapest prices is direct from NEC!), so I would love to hear what other people think!

Mike

I own a now old Mitsubishi (read NEC) crt monitor. It went tits up some while back and when I checked it was just still in warranty. I phoned NEC and they sent a replacement immediately at no cost and then collected the old one a week later.
    For that level of customer service alone I will definitely look at NEC for my next monitor whenever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I'm going to replace the el-cheapo monitor that came with my new Dell computer with a better 24" monitor because for the first time with any monitor I can't get it calibrated to a point that it closely matches my prints. I'm debating between two monitors, the HP LP2475W for about $500 and the NEC 2490WUXi for about $1,100.

Both have gotten excellent reviews. The HP would be a no-brainer because of the cost difference except for one extensive review of it that basically said the color fidelity wasn't very good out of the box but was excellent when calibrated. I of course calibrate my monitors (Spyder Pro III) but I'm still a little concerned about this aspect of the HP. I wonder what would happen if I didn't get the calibration just right using the Spyder.

The NEC has its own calibration system as I understand it and several people in different forums have raved about how great it is. I can afford the higher price but I hate to pay $600 more if I wouldn't notice any difference between the two monitors once the HP was calibrated. I should also mention that the color fidelity aspect of the HP was discussed in only one review, other reviews that gave it very high marks didn't mention this. But the one that did was by far the most extensive, detailed test/review of it that I've read so I tend to put more faith in it than in the more cursory reviews.

A couple other points. I want 24", not some other size. I can't go to a store and do a comparison test of them, they aren't carried locally as far as I've been able to tell. And my only concern with a monitor is its use for photography. I don't care how good or bad it is for games, web viewing, etc.

Anyone's experience with either of these monitors or thoughts in general would be appreciated.
    Brian,

I have 2 NEC 2090UXi monitors and I couldn't be happier. The gamut on these monitors is limited to sRGB but the color is very linear, and the monitors are very sharp.

The larger NECs like the 2490WUXi have a larger color gamut, almost 100% of Adobe 1998.

The calibration software is a dream to use. Highly reccomended.

Don Bryant

If you can afford the NEC, strongly consider it.

I've had at my desk for several years now two NEC 2080ux monitors side by side. I haven't calibrated them, since they are for work, and my photo stuff is on my home computer. These monitors were pricey, but they still look better than most monitors on the market today for viewing text and graphics for 8-10 hours per day.

They have substantially less variation at different viewing angles/heights than less expensive displays.

Bob

Brian
    Do I remember a post where you said you had gone to 64 bit Vista? Check to see if NEC has finally made their calibration software 64 bit compatible, since last time I tried for my 2690 it wasn't available yet.

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like the NEC is the winner. But I'll do as Bob says and check into the compatibility with Vista.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. It looks like the NEC is the winner. But I'll do as Bob says and check into the compatibility with Vista.
    Windows 7 is coming out soon(ish)