Thread: Epson V500 and stitch or get V700 later?????

Epson V500 and stitch or get V700 later?????

Here's my problem. I shoot a fair amount of 4x5 (and this has been exclusivly velvia) but lately have been shooting a LOT of 6x12. I really like the 6x12 format and have been on some occasions shooting the same scene with 4x5 and 6x12 . Anyway i would like to get some of these scanned.

How much better is the Epson V700? Is the only difference that the V700 can scan 2 4x5's while the V500 can only do medium format? Should i really be bothered with the lower Dmax? I mean can't i simply scan for highlights and shadows and do a HDR?

My plan is to get a V500 (which i can get now) and scan the 6x12's while stitching the 4x5's in PS (scan twice and then merge them). I don't think this is imposiable as the register of the two images will be quite large. These scans will at most be printed as 4x5 and will go up on the web. For absolute quality i'll get the good ones drum scanned anyway.

The other option is to collect my pennies and get a V700 (x3 more than the V500). This was always my initial plan but it has gotten sidetracked b/c of my increased liking of 35mm rangefinders. I know even the V700 won't be able to match a dedicated film scanner. So i'll eventually need to get a Coolscan or something

Any thoughts are appreciated (especially if you've done the 4x5 stitching)

Re: Epson V500 and stitch or get V700 later?????

Hi Pramodh,

Buying temporary solutions means buying things twice. If I were you, I'd go for the V700 even if it takes a bit longer.

Marko

Octogenarian

Look around for a previously owned Epson 4990.

Perhaps the Epson Store has a refurbished one.

The 4990 is capable of scanning negatives up to 8X10 and used ones are very inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Hi Pramodh,

Buying temporary solutions means buying things twice. If I were you, I'd go for the V700 even if it takes a bit longer.

Marko
    Thats just it marko, I don't think it's a temp solution. If it does the same thing that i want (print 8x10 and web images) why should i spend more? I can always spend the money on film/gas. Now i do agree that a flatbed will be a temporary solution for 35mm but thats another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Look around for a previously owned Epson 4990.

Perhaps the Epson Store has a refurbished one.

The 4990 is capable of scanning negatives up to 8X10 and used ones are very inexpensive.
    Well first up i can't find one. And secondly even the used one s go well above $200 these days. This scanners got a cult following thanks to KR . Considering i can get a new v500 for under $200 shipped and with tax i don't think the 4990 is such a good deal.

Octogenarian

A previously owned, or a refurbished Epson 4990 would be less costly than purchasing an Epson V500 + an Epson V700.

Quote Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
    Thats just it marko, I don't think it's a temp solution. If it does the same thing that i want (print 8x10 and web images) why should i spend more? I can always spend the money on film/gas. Now i do agree that a flatbed will be a temporary solution for 35mm but thats another story.
    Only you know what you really want or need. But from my perspective, a scanner that cannot accommodate the size of the film I want to scan in one piece is definitely a temporary solution.

If all you want is indeed only 8x10 or web-sized images, perhaps you should be looking at some older used or refurbished scanners and perhaps not even exclusively Epson?

I actually do exactly what I suggest - I want to get a 4x5 scanner myself, and I want to get either a V700 or something better if possible. But until I'm comfortable with my choice and its cost, I am still using an old Epson Perfection 1650 with transparency adapter. It cost me a wee bit more than half of what a V500 would cost new but it can still scan an entire 4x5 sheet. The quality is sufficient for the web and, with care, possibly even for some 8x10 prints, but that's not quite the quality I want so I still consider it temporary.

i have the v500 and its software can be a nightmare for stitching, since it tries to find a 6xsomething negative (depending what you set for size) and on low-contrast subject it may sometimes have problem finding the negative. Not to mention that the holders may damage the 4x5 negative unless you are very very careful.

My suggestion is.. wait until you can afford a v700 or get a used one. I'm definately getting rid of my v500 asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Imaginara View Post
    i have the v500 and its software can be a nightmare for stitching, since it tries to find a 6xsomething negative (depending what you set for size) and on low-contrast subject it may sometimes have problem finding the negative. Not to mention that the holders may damage the 4x5 negative unless you are very very careful.

Turn off the auto-thumbnail feature to fix this.

I used to stitch 9x12cm scans when I had an Epson 3170. It's certainly do-able for the odd negative or too, but not what I'd call fun. You need to make up your own holder / template, with a guide to help keep the negative square. Stitching itself is pretty easy if you lock the exposure between scan passes, since there is plenty of overlap.

Ooo ! daeng. maybe i should RTFM

Thanx Paul!