Thread: Monitor switching methods

Monitor switching methods

Hello,

Any suggestions regarding various methods of switching between the following monitor configurations would be appreciated as there are a number of hardware switches on the market, as well as software controls available with XP and CS3.

I have an older NEC CRT monitor with a DVI and VGA interface, as well as a new 26” NEC WUXI with the colorimeter for photo editing. I would like find a simple and yet quality means to switch between using my older monitor for day to day use as one mode, and using the NEC WUXI as the main Photoshop editing screen along with the Photoshop palettes running simultaneously on the older NEC CRT, as the other monitor configuration mode.

I’m running XP with CS3 on a quad core AMD Phenom 2, 4 gigs ram, Gigabyte mobo with 2 AGP ports with only one GeoForce PX6800 video card in one of the AGP slots. The video card only has one DVI port as well as the VGA port but if needed the older NEC CRT could be run in VGA mode during editing. Buying another video card with 2 DVI ports or a second video card with a DVI out is also possible.

I started reading about all the various possibilities and thought it would be wiser to ask all the wonderful and knowledgeable members here.

All the best for your travels and photography this summer!

Dave J

Re: Monitor switching methods

Not sure why you wouldn't want to use the new 26" for everything except palletes or other ancillary use.

If you want to use the CRT for day-to-day use, I'd use that as the primary windows desktop.

A cheap second video card would the way to go. I'm guessing you don't have AGP ports, but PCIX ports. AGP is a step or two back in tech compared to most phenom-II compatible hardware. Check the motherboard manual/specs.

All you need is a two-port monitor adapter card and setup Windows with two monitor display. I setup my photo editing system with a Philips 190B monitor as the editing monitor and a Daewoo monitor as day to day monitor.

When I use Photoshop, the application is setup at Daewoo monitor and I drag the open image to Philips monitor and high magnification. In Lightroom, I also open the application at Daewoo monitor and open the 2nd display window in Philips Monitor.

As my monitor adapter card can only accommodate one set of color mapping profile. I using Colorvision Profile selector to switch the corresponding monitor profile for the monitor that need accurate color presentation (usually the Philips monitor).

This is my setup at home for photo editing...

Attachment 27137

"Not sure why you wouldn't want to use the new 26" for everything except palletes or other ancillary use."

I'm trying to minimize the hours on it incase there is any long term degradation of the display.

"If you want to use the CRT for day-to-day use, I'd use that as the primary windows desktop."

So XP works well - thanks!

"A cheap second video card would the way to go."

I'll get another one with two DVI ports

"I'm guessing you don't have AGP ports, but PCIX ports."

Yes, you are right.

Thanks for the help. Since there are no dire warnings regarding using XP or dual monitors I'll do as both of you have suggested.

All the best!

Dave Jeffery

Thanks for posting the image of your setup amoebahyda it looks nice. I'm looking at a tangle of wires, keyboards and 3 extra hard drives scattered on my desk as my computers get rebuilt which looks like chaos in comparison.

IMO it brings nothing to run the CRT over DVI, its an analog device and just transforms the digital signal back to analog.
    Just my 2c
    Regards
    Martin

Thanks Martin.

I thought for some reason the DVI interface is better but what you say makes sense and I'll try the card I have once the computer is rebuilt. You may have saved me from buying another video card so thanks.