Thread: Hello... Old Hat to Film, but NEW to LF!

Hello... Old Hat to Film, but NEW to LF!

Hello all.

My name is Brooks. I am a 26 year old father of two and husband of one. I have been into photography at the "serious amateur" level for quite a while now. I got my start in photography shooting 35mm with an old Canon SLR. After shooting with that for a while, I got pulled to the "dark side" and went digital. Invested quite a bit of money in my digital system, battery grip, external flashes, big lenses, the whole nine yards, only to find out that I didn't really care too much for digital. Both the process and the results left me feeling like I was lacking something from my film days...

So after much deliberation, I sold off my digital system and picked up an old Nikon FG-20 SLR. Not long after that I picked up a Yashica A TLR that shoots 6x6 120, and I recently picked up my new pride and joy, a Cambo SC 4x5 monorail. I'm still in the process of acquiring everything I need for it, lens, lensboard, film holders, etc... I can't wait to get out and actually USE the big thing that is sitting on a shelf in my living room.

Anyway, I've already racked up fifteen posts on this forum I think, mostly asking random questions, so I figured I'd make a real introduction.

I look forward to growing in my photography and to being part of this wonderful LF community. I am so glad to see that this kind of photography is still going strong in this digital age.

Re: Hello... Old Hat to Film, but NEW to LF!

Welcome !

We all know that "sharpness" isn't everything, but...

"This $300 used 4 x 5 is sharper than a new $3,000 Hasselblad and worlds beyond a $5,000 Leica, Contax, Canon or Nikon."

-- Ken Rockwell

Hi Brooks! Welcome. Your 4x5 is the same camera that I started out with.

Welcome to group therepy! Your background sounds much like mine, but 40 years later, even to the cameras (with the exception of the digital, to which I'm a late-comer, having only gotten digital equipment in the last few years, but still adicted to film with Minolta, Nikon, Rolleicord, Hasselblad, Graflex, and Cambo units along with my Olympus digital stuff.