Thread: Load the film loader, take the shot - what next?!

Load the film loader, take the shot - what next?!

I've been using Quickload exclusively up to now, but have just bought some film holders, some 4x5 sheet film, and a changing tent.
    A stupid question I know, but what is the procedure next - I am not at the stage of processing my own film yet, so will be sending it off to a lab.
    I haven't opened the box of film yet, but presume it doesn't come with a load of lightproof bags, so what do I need to get, and from where (I am in the UK)?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    I am planning to try loading my first film holder tomorrow, following the instructions on the Paul Butzi website.

Re: Load the film loader, take the shot - what next?!

Get a spare film box - maybe through this site or through a commercial lab; they accumulate extras - and mark it to be used for exposed film. Unload your exposed film into it and use the box to deliver film to the lab or to save film for your future darkroom work.

Marking clearly is vital since mix-ups can be nast y- exposed vs unexposed; differing development times from each other.... Each different developing routine needs to be separated from all others.

Make sure you get the three part boxes. They protect film well and should not need a separate lightproof bag.

Happy shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by newmoon2night View Post
    I've been using Quickload exclusively up to now, but have just bought some film holders, some 4x5 sheet film, and a changing tent.
    A stupid question I know, but what is the procedure next - I am not at the stage of processing my own film yet, so will be sending it off to a lab.
    I haven't opened the box of film yet, but presume it doesn't come with a load of lightproof bags, so what do I need to get, and from where (I am in the UK)?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    I am planning to try loading my first film holder tomorrow, following the instructions on the Paul Butzi website.
    Hi David, the film is usually provided in a number of inner light tight bags, depending on the quantity of sheets. Unfortunately, if there is only one bag in the box, you will need to obtain another bag in which to put your exposed sheets. What film are you using and what quantity is in the box?
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Paul Butzi has an excellent resource for newbies at sheet film handling. Fully illustrated too.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    Marking clearly is vital since mix-ups can be nast y- exposed vs unexposed;
    Indeed. Even if you are in a rush, never attempt to unload and load film holders in one go. Placing both film boxes inside the changing bag at once is already 90% towards exposing some sheets twice or not at all.

Sevo

In the USA I have ordered black poly bags and cardboard film mailers from Freestyle. Cost for a 5X7 is around $.50 total. I shoot a back up negative and batch the exposed negatives by development times in old 4X5 film boxes. These are marked for (I shoot zone system) Normal, -1,-2,-3, and compensating development times. I load the single back up sheet of exposed film in the poly bag and mailer. I keep my development notes with the back up. After developing and printing the first negative I notate if I want to develop the backup and adjust the development to change contrast. This takes a bit of house keeping but keeps the unexposed negatives in good shape till they are ready for processing.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

It sounds like now is the time to start souping your own film. If you have a dark place to load the holders, you've probably got a dark place to unload your holders and put your film in a daylight developing tank of some sort (a Patterson Orbital processor comes to mind since you're in the UK) It think that it has got to be more cost effective than sending it off to a lab.

Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Or if you're dropping off your film instead of mailing it, you can leave them in the holders and the lab should know what to do with it. It stinks if you have a limited amount of holders but it probably has the least amount of potential error. It works great if you don't have an empty box to put you're exposed sheets in yet, and you can always go the two box way after you're through with your first box!

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeiffer Duckett View Post
    Or if you're dropping off your film instead of mailing it, you can leave them in the holders and the lab should know what to do with it.
    That's a receipe for disaster, IMO. The lab really doesn't want to unload holders for the photographer.

If someone wants film boxes put a WTB ad in the For Sale section. I'm sure the OP can get all of the empty film boxes the he may want by offering to pay the shipping cost for the boxes.

Don Bryant