Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday's disaster

Tuesday's disaster

As an international guest of this forum, I wish to express my sympathy to all th e friends in the States, following tuesday's tragic events. May some good come o ut of the suffering and loss of so many innocent lives.

Tuesday's disaster

I would join to Paul.

Tuesday's disaster

I too express my deep sympathy to all Americans who have been touched by this tradegy.

Tuesday's disaster

Thank you for your thoughts. I live on the river across from Manhattan in Brooklyn less than 2km from the site, and the experiience has been horrible. I did not see any sense of trying to make a photographic representation, but there were hundreds or thousands in my neighborhood with cameras. The need to capture an image seemed so strong -- clearly a reflection on how we think now -- very few were thinking emotionally about the loss, but very visually.

Tuesday's disaster

Where horror of this nature is concerned, there has never been too many cameras.....more often, not enough.

Tuesday's disaster

I would like to follow suit with all that has been said. Technology, especially the Internet has made our world a much smaller place, so I'm sure that all of us outside the USA still feel a huge amount of grief, anger and sorrow as if it had happened in our own countries. I just hope that given time you can all come to terms with this great tragedy. Paul

Tuesday's disaster

We almost lost one of our own. Geoffrey Chen, an active contributor to this forum and my photography mentor, was injuried in the World Trade Center attack. He suffered a dislocated right shoulder and temporary blind when the south tower collapsed. He was, while helping taking care of those injuried, struck by a leg falling from sky which caused his shoulder to be dislocated, and hot ash/dust blasted his eyes. He was treated by medical professionals, and released home last night. He is expected to recover in about two weeks. I'm here to help him and read news and emails to him.

Tuesday's disaster

I would also like to offer my deep sympathy and condolences following the horrific events on Tuesday. Thanks, Paul, for this post.

Tuesday's disaster

Thank you to our friends overseas for your condolence emails. It really means a lot.

Some thoughts: While grieving for all the victims in New York and DC and Pennsylvania, I also think about what place means to us. Probably most of us on this forum are photographers of place. New Yorkers have lost more than the people, they have lost a neighborhood and a symbol of their physical place. (The Towers are especially a fact of life for those under 30. I remember well a skyline without them.) My friend who lives four blocks from the Towers just called --- their windows were open and their apartment is full of asbestos-laden dust. It can be cleaned somehow, but they are thinking about moving from New York. Their neighborhood is destroyed.

On TV there is little attention to the survivors around the Pentagon, maybe because it is not a true neighborhood there.

I completely understand the impulse of the buyers on eBay and in souvenir shops who are trying to acquire books and postcards that show the World Trade Center, and the impulse of those who want their own cameras to record everything about this. Photography is a more concrete form of storytelling. It is a form of proof.

Peace, Sandy

Tuesday's disaster

I have found that no matter how upsetting the reality and images of events in NYC have been, I have been continuously watching TV or radio from Richmond, VA in absolute disbelief. New York was my home city and I can't imagine the suffering and chaos that has taken place there. Maybe it is through these images that I hope to internalize what is otherwise an incomprehensible event. In this way, I am grateful that there are people out there with cameras capturing the events.

I had communicated with Geoffrey Chen a number of months ago about things photographic and otherwise. I am sorry to hear of his injuries and all others.