Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aligning Omega D5 and Beseler 4x5

Aligning Omega D5 and Beseler 4x5

I spent a portion of yesterday aligning an Omega D5 enlarger and three Beseler enlargers. Sheesh! Talk about poor design.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. I'd welcome some insights. Let the "Y" axis be a line running left to right and the "Z" axis be a line running from back to front.

From my perspective on the D5 Omega, it's not possible to adjust the lens-stage along either the Y or Z axis without trying to change the angle of the entire enlarger. Moreover, if the Y axis at the lens stage isn't parallel to the Y axis at the negative stage, it's too bad Charlie! For example, the only adjustment for the negative stage is along the Z axis.

As to the Beselers, two 6x9's and the similarly designed 4x5 enlarger with a 45S head, it was possible to align the negative stage in both the Y and Z directions. But, it was not possible (from my perspective) to independently adjust the Z axis for both the lens stage and the negative stage.

So, through different shenanigans, I got the four enlargers aligned to within a smidgen of correct. But frankly, I don't it's really good enough. It's only the best that those particular enlargers would permit.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Aligning Omega D5 and Beseler 4x5

I thought Z was always along the lens axis....

I have modified my Beseler 45 so that it may be aligned completely, but it took some work, because I have a forth plane, the 8x10 stage. I don't move the neg stage, I don't even know that it does. For just the 4x5 adjustment, I have some hardware that was manufactured and sold by Redlight Enterprises years ago that allows careful adjustment of the lens. This hardware wouldn't be too hard reproduce if you saw it. Some pix would be in order here, but I don't have such a camera. Maybe I could borow my daughter's if you are interested in the workings. Next, to get the final plane parallel with the neg and lens, loosen the baseboard and shove some pennies under there to make parallel the baseboard.

There you have it, make the lens parallel to the neg and the baseboard parallel these.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Lens-to-film alignment is most important when doing enlargements. The focal depth on the baseboard side is usually in the millimeter to centimeter range.

At least for the D5500, Omega recommends shimming to align the the column if needed.

Having said all that, I did make 4-corner adjustable false baseboards for my Omegas, to get perfect film-to-baseboard alignment in addition to the lens-to-film adjustments already incorporated by Omega.

On your D5 the negative stage is adjustable in 2 axes to get your film-to-lens alignment. Here is an example: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...07&postcount=3

Which model 4x5 Beseler were you using? The latest, and I guess final, Beseler is the MXT which I used for about 10 years. I don't remember the details but Beseler improved the alignment system on the MXT in some manner or fashion as compared with earlier models.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Lens-to-film alignment is most important when doing enlargements. The focal depth on the baseboard side is usually in the millimeter to centimeter range.
    No. A properly aligned enlarger has the negative, lens and paper planes all properly aligned. You don't want to rely on an unaligned baseboard if you want the optimal performance from your image and lens. They are a chain and relying on depth of field or depth of focus in lieu of proper alignment will give you less the optimal performance. So will the lack of a glass carrier. And if you are printing glassless then the requirement for proper alignment is far less important as you can not get optimal performance from an enlarging lens without a glass carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    No. A properly aligned enlarger has the negative, lens and paper planes all properly aligned. You don't want to rely on an unaligned baseboard if you want the optimal performance from your image and lens. They are a chain and relying on depth of field or depth of focus in lieu of proper alignment will give you less the optimal performance. So will the lack of a glass carrier. And if you are printing glassless then the requirement for proper alignment is far less important as you can not get optimal performance from an enlarging lens without a glass carrier.
    How about the Beseler Negaflat, the one that clamps and pulls the negative flat? I don't own one but have heard good reports from users.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have the Beseler MXT and it's simple to align:

First align the table on which it sits and then the baseboard. I use a torpedo level and position it is 6 places - along each side and in an x in the center of the baseboard. Once the table and baseboard are aligned, then either align the easel on the baseboard or jump to aligning the negative stage. The MXT allows you to align the negative stage left and right and forward to backward. I use a laser to align. Once the negative stage is aligned, then align the lens board. If you have the new type of Beseler boards with the two screws that locks the board down, you can tweak those until the board is aligned. I can get the board aligned to about 1/16" or so from the laser's bull’s-eye. To eliminate fussing with the lock down screws, I've ordered a Delta 4x4" Bes-Align board from B&H yesterday. If this works, and I suspect it will, then I will take the Beseler board on which I have mounted a Schneider 180mm Componon-S to a machine shop to have the 3 adjustment screws installed.

I highly recommend getting a laser aligning tool. It makes aligning the enlarger a snap and I routinely check the alignment whenever I change heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotch View Post
    How about the Beseler Negaflat, the one that clamps and pulls the negative flat? I don't own one but have heard good reports from users.
    It would not be a replacement for glass. A negative moves in the heat from the lamp. Glass ensures that the position of the film at the start, the end and at all times in between is in the same place. A glassless carrier, including the Negaflat does not. In addition, as the darkroom session lengthens, the temperature at the negative stage increases meaning that the 10th negative may not be at exactly at the same point as the first, or the last making for more corrections in focus at the same magnification. Glass ensures consistency.

Drew Wiley

I had no trouble aligning the Omega. Took a cheap auto feeler gage to aquire a couple
    shims for the base rotation area, jammed them in appropriately, and that took take of
    any base to coumn issue. Adjusting the negative stage just required fiddling with some
    set screws. The carrier itself was slightly shimmed with an adhesive teflon tape which
    I acquired from MCMaster. That was over twenty years ago and the thing is still in
    alignment.

Drew Wiley

Postscript - I did make my own precision board for the Omega lens mount, which I
    tweaked for really high-quality focus. Incidentally, I use both a Starrett true machinists level and a top-of-the-line Peak focus device to check alignment - hardware store levels are rarely adequately level.