Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: are photographs still photographs...

Re: are photographs still photographs...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    .. much more absolute than a physical negative.

... ok.. i guess after thinking about it.. someone could take an image, manipulate it, print it out very large, then under ideal lighting, take a picture of it.

but as previously said.. this really is a non-issue. I really don't think you'll see headlines in any major newspaper any time soon that say "Pablo Batt discovers digital cameras don't take photographs!!!", nor will it be taught along with Pythagoras, Aristotle and Eratosthenes' discoveries.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Pablo, have you walked into an art museum in the Netherlands lately? Maybe you should take up this discussion with the curators there. Or with the local art dealers, or the critics, or the university art historians.

Your disagreement is with them, not us. No one actually cares what we think about the subject. I'm not even sure how much i care ... I just do my work with the best tools I can get my hands on.

If someone in the printmaking department at MoMA called and said they wanted to show my work, I'd be ecstatic.

are photographs still photographs...

this is the topic, i thought the idea was to discuss on a forum

my opinion is that digital recorders have very little to do with photography, and that any digital steps in the production of photography makes your efforts null and void.

all i want is for digital people to call there product a inkjet imaging as this is what it is and to not use the word photography , because it is not.

digital capture has nothing to do with photography in which case such discussion has no place in a large format photography forum

Talking Re: are photographs still photographs...

Quote Originally Posted by pablo batt View Post
    are photographs still photographs...

this is the topic, i thought the idea was to discuss on a forum

my opinion is that digital recorders have very little to do with photography, and that any digital steps in the production of photography makes your efforts null and void.

all i want is for digital people to call there product a inkjet imaging as this is what it is and to not use the word photography , because it is not.

digital capture has nothing to do with photography in which case such discussion has no place in a large format photography forum
    I think I found you a new home

http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php

im guessing that a lot of people here use a film camera and then scan and make inkjets, thats fine and im sure some gallery's think thats fine too

and if the price reflects the media used then thats ok too
    but when inkjets are connected to photography in some way, then this is fraud as no inkjet has any photograph techniques involved in there production

i myself understand this, but theres also a lot of people who dont know and may buy a inkjet and not understand this point i am making

photography is photography
    inkjets are inkjets

please dont use words that obscure these facts and pass off inkjets as some kind of alt photography process

inkjets have no connection to any photographic process

the end

please dont use words that obscure these facts and pass off inkjets as some kind of alt photography process
    Or else...?

in my part of the world there is a law called ...

the sales of goods act

any misrepresentation of a product for sale would then be taken to a court for a decision

its called law and most of us follow it

and some dont and reap the penalty, i know i would report it.

im guessing that a lot of people here use a film camera and then scan and make inkjets, thats fine and im sure some gallery's think thats fine too

and if the price reflects the media used then thats ok too
    but when inkjets are connected to photography in some way, then this is fraud as no inkjet has any photograph techniques involved in there production

i myself understand this, but theres also a lot of people who dont know and may buy a inkjet and not understand this point i am making

inkjets are inkjets

inkjets have no connection to any photographic process

the end

But you're not really convincing anyone who buys these prints. you need to be stopping people as they enter the museums and galleries and explaining it to them.

i capture images using a digital camera. i then take that photograph, and make a negative from it. I then coat a sheet of paper with platinum and palladium and contact print that negative. The result is a platinum print, and is displayed and sold as a photograph. Frankly, i'd say there's a lot more time and craft that goes into this photograph, than one of your prints... but it's not the time and effort that is being bought by a customer. An inkjet print by Julie Blackmon or Hiroshi Watanabe would sell for a lot more than a platinum print by me.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Pablo, you seem to think that stating your opinion over and over again will somehow make it true. And you state your opinion as "fact," when in fact authorities from every end of the spectrum disagree with you.

I'm always up for a lively debate. But this isn't one. You're just repeating your conclusion, without any supporting evidence or reasoning ... not counting your original and very weak semantic argument.

Give us a reason to listen to you, and not, say, the curator of photography at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the editors at Aperture, or the art historians at Yale.

using a digital process in the production of a photograph does not make the end result a photo.

as no light was used to make your copy of the neg using a inkjet

if you want a photo as the end result then use light as the tool during the complete process, any digital step will not render a photo

this is the concept of photography and it keeps it honest