Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which kit for upgrading to 8X10 OR field camera

which kit for upgrading to 8X10 OR field camera

Hi all
    Appreciating any contribution in this dilemma.
    I have a F2 Sinar 4X5 and would like to upgrade to 8X10 for landscape photography& contact printing(one of my lenses can cover 8X10 format). I was about to buy a new field camera but changed my mind due to stability and precision I'll miss with field camera compared to the upgraded Sinar F2. Concerning weight(practicality in the field) and availability only(Regardless price), I faced with different choices:
    1- Used Sinar 8X10 P2/P conversion kit(need I think BEARER P2). Can be found on e-bay.
    2- Used Sinar 8X10 F2 rear standard. Rarely found on e-bay.
    3- Used Sinar 8X10 P camera complete. Can be found on e-bay.
    4- Used Sinar 8X10 F2 camera complete. Rarely found on e-bay.
    5- Going back to Field camera(NEW) like Shen-Hao or Tachihara cameras.
    I found the prices of these choices to be about the same(specially the easily available items).
    My question is: Which choice you'll go with ?
    Another question(sorry being long): how can Sinar 8X10 P2/P conversion kit be fitted on Sinar 4X5 F2 without BEARER P2 ?
    Thanks again for help.

Re: which kit for upgrading to 8X10 OR field camera

For landscapes, a field camera would be better than a Sinar monorail. However, the value of used Sinar 8x10's has dropped so I think you could source one for less than a new Shen-Hao or Tachi. A used Deardorff would also be a good choice since prices have dropped on these cameras also.

Big Negs Rock!

I have a Sinar P in all its configurations. I bought a Deardorff for 8x10. It's a lot lighter and has plenty of movement for everything I've done so far. If I know I'll need more, I get the Sinar out in either 5x7 or 4x5. I have an adapter for the Sinar lens boards to work on the Dorff. Most of my good Sinar lenses are on DB boards so not adaptable.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

hi Pete,
    thanks too much.
    so you are favoring field camera for the task.
    There are two problems; on for me & the other for the field cameras.
    The one related to me is; that I'll not use the camera for landscape 100%. Actually it'll be roughly 75% landscape and 25% for other types of photography(indoor). So I still in need to freedom of movements that provided by Sinar camera.
    the problem with field cameras(according to what I've read) is that those cameras can not retain the position of standards movements as proper.
    These two points what made my decision little difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    For landscapes, a field camera would be better than a Sinar monorail. However, the value of used Sinar 8x10's has dropped so I think you could source one for less than a new Shen-Hao or Tachi. A used Deardorff would also be a good choice since prices have dropped on these cameras also.
    True.
    Thank again Pete

I think buying a complete, used, Sinar 8x10 makes the most sense because you can supplement it with parts from your current 4x5 set. Buying complete cameras is usually a better value, and you can always resell any unwanted left over parts once you get your system set-up. Robert Fisher has a good deal on a Sinar 8x10P right here today.

If you are able to manage the extra weight and bulk you'll have a much more solid and versatile system than any wooden camera, and probably for a lot less money.

It's hard to fly with an 8x10 without baggage overages unless you have an ultralight system. And I wouldn't try backpacking with an 8x10. But other than that, why do you really need a lighter camera that compromises movements and stability?

I'd buy a P Conversion kit, then you'll have an 8x10 SINAR Combination. You can use the other F2 parts to further soup-up the camera (compendium shade etc) and you can sell any parts you find you can't use.

I've always been glad I had a solid monorail in the field, that is, once I have it deployed. Especially if there is alot of wind going on.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I'd buy a P Conversion kit, then you'll have an 8x10 SINAR Combination. You can use the other F2 parts to further soup-up the camera (compendium shade etc) and you can sell any parts you find you can't use.

I've always been glad I had a solid monorail in the field, that is, once I have it deployed. Especially if there is alot of wind going on.
    So it's your contention that a solid monorail is more stable than my Deardorff V-8 on top of a Bogen 3036? In the wind?

Why?

tim in san jose

Hi Tim,
    I'm not against using Deardorffs, they are great cameras. I owned an old one for three years, but I ended up selling mine. Personally I much prefer the SINAR Norma out in the field, and yes, it is much sturdier than my particular Deardorff. It works better for me, for my uses, particularly the interchangability of the accessories. Of course the Deardorff is lighter, that was the tradeoff for me.

The OP already has an F2 Sinar, so buying a P Conversion (or a complete P) might even be less money than the Deardorff?
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I'm not an expert here, but I think getting a P rear bearer and a conversion kit will do. You will then have a C camera, F front and P back. I would guess it is the cheapest way for you to get the 8x10 you want. This combination will be a little lighter but also not as stable as a complete P.
    Of course, lenses are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Hi Tim,
    I'm not against using Deardorffs, they are great cameras. I owned an old one for three years, but I ended up selling mine. Personally I much prefer the SINAR Norma out in the field, and yes, it is much sturdier than my particular Deardorff. It works better for me, for my uses, particularly the interchangability of the accessories. Of course the Deardorff is lighter, that was the tradeoff for me.

The OP already has an F2 Sinar, so buying a P Conversion (or a complete P) might even be less money than the Deardorff?
    Not to argue whether he should buy one or the other... to me, it's a no brainer. I have used Sinars (a really long time ago) and know they are a nice system.

I was just wondering... I have a 1955 Deardorff and solid is the first adjective I would use for it. It appears to not have been abused in it's previous life so perhaps I am just the beneficiary of a really nice camera. I can't imagine any camera being any more stable than that sitting on the Bogen.

tim