Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10

4x5 or 8x10

having been a 4x5 user for a while, i am curious to learn why those of you who have converted to 8x10 prefer 8x10. any input would be helpful. my end product will continue to be 40x50 inch to 80x100 inch prints.

for "atmospheric" landscape imagery (think elger esser), does 8x10 have an advantage over 4x5? i'm hoping the answer is yes in that the tonality and texture of 8x10 is MORE pleasing than 4x5.

my usual process has been to drum scan 4x5s and modify in PS before digitally printing.

my big question:
    if i were to move to 8x10 and flatbed scan the film (like with the epson v750, etc), modify in PS and then digitally print, will i be able to produce obviously richer, smoother looking end prints (to the above specs)? for example, will scanned 8x10 at something like 2000dpi (PS will only handle files up to 2GB) make a large digital print superior to drum scanned (much higher dpi) 4x5?

thanks so much.

Re: 4x5 or 8x10

The main purpose fo 8x10 and larger seems to be the contact print experience. If you are going to digitally scan your film, then probably 5x7 will give you everything you need.

You should remember you only need 300 ppi for digital prints. Any more is beyond the level of the inkjet printer resolution. An 8x10 scanned at 600 ppi will give you almost a 16x20 at 300 ppi. The limits are related to the print medium. You do not need to scan at higher resolution than your print medium can reproduce. Most flatbed consumer film scanners will scan 8x10 at up to 1200 ppi. That is enough resolution for a 32x40 digital print at the standard 300 ppi file size.

Drum scanners offer other features besides higher resolution. Whether these features, like higher dynamic range, better signal-to-noise, etc. are important to you may depend on your style of photography. It is not all about sharpness and resolution.

The "look" of 8x10 is influenced by the lenses, being longer focal length will have less depth-of-field for the same angle-of-view as 4x5. This gives 8x10 a different look, but that is not resolution related.

Quote Originally Posted by don mills View Post
    for example, will scanned 8x10 at something like 2000dpi (PS will only handle files up to 2GB) make a large digital print superior to drum scanned (much higher dpi) 4x5?
    My guess is it would be pretty even. The drum scanned 4x5 might win on sharpness but lose on grain.

Either way, 8x10 could work out to be cheaper than 4x5, depending on how much you plan to drum scan. 8x10 film and development costs more, but doing a flatbed scan costs nothing!

Either way, I think you have to try it out to know if it's for you. I started with 4x5 but found it to be too small and fiddly. I can't see the corners of the GG very well with my loupe, and I feel like it's easier to make focusing errors. 8x10 has such a nice, big GG, so you can see image large, and I can use any old loupe all the way to the corners. If I fudge the focus a little, you'll never see it, because the area of the negative is so huge.

And of course, there's that creamy, creamy tonality. Like 4x5, but four times as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    If you are going to digitally scan your film, then probably 5x7 will give you everything you need.
    ...unless you want to shoot color!

"... superior... ?"

How large do you intend to print ?

Below a certain print size (which only you can determine), the superiority may not be evident.

I shoot all three, 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I agree with the difference being mainly the shorter focal length lenses possible with 4x5. Since I have to contact print my 8x10, but can enlarge the other two, I can get larger prints with the smaller formats, without apparent loss in quality when compared to the 8x10 contacts.

i don't understand why you have to contact print. can't you develop and scan the neg to get a larger end print with better quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
    Since I have to contact print my 8x10, but can enlarge the other two, I can get larger prints with the smaller formats, without apparent loss in quality when compared to the 8x10 contacts.

I recently acquired a 5x7, but haven't used it much. My rationale:

1. a 5x7 contact print is big enough, but a 4x5 isn't big enough (for me); contact prints can have an impact that no enlargment nor scan has (my opinion shared by many).

2. You can hold a sheet of 5x7 film by the edges in one hand. You cannot do this with 8x10 (maybe Andre the Giant could, but most people can't). This makes it easier to load and handle compared to 8x10. (About as easy as 4x5).

3. Most of my 4x5 lenses will cover 5x7.

4. I like the aspect ratio of 5x7.

True, there are not many films available in 5x7, but there are enough for me. I generally shoot black & white, though.

Charlie Strack

Big Negs Rock!

I can enlarge my 8x10 negs and love the quality. That said, I use the different formats for different subjects. I use my dad's 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 Crown Graphic for some subjects too. I think of it as a sketch pad. But its images hold up quite well. I like them all and can enlarge them all. I guess I'm spoiled. (I just spent the day in the dark room making contact prints from 8x10 negs, and they're awesome).
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com