Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad Day

Unhappy Sad Day

After over 40 years using Kodak negative films, I'm throwing in the towel! With so little Kodak sheet film available and on such a sporadic schedule, I can't operate on that basis anymore. I'll miss TriX and TMax 100, but life moves on. I start the new learning curve with Ilford today. Should I switch my medium format to Ilford, too?

Re: Sad Day

Where are you buying Kodak sheet film? i have not had any issues getting what i need unless in those formats that requires a special run.

Octogenarian

I came to the same conclusion ten years ago.

Switched to Ilford sheet film and medium format roll film, and have never regretted my decision.

Pyrocat-HD film developer and TF-4 fixer (from Photographer's Formulary), along with Ilford FP-4+ film, is a match made in heaven.

Glazer's? Badger? Freestyle? What's not to like?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Glazer's? Badger? Freestyle? What's not to like?
    I agree. I've never had a problem finding Kodak films. TMY-2 is so readily available in 5x4 it's even in stock locally now. And there's no other film like it available from either Fuji or Harmon / Ilford. Moving to either of the competitors would be like taking a giant step backward to me.

Bruce Watson

Jeff at Badger just shipped 8 boxes of TMax 100 8x10 to me today. I have never had a problem with TMax.

I'm very happy with Tri-X. I've never had trouble getting 8x10, except for about a month in 2003 or so when Kodak changed from a U.S. factory to one in Canada.

I used Ilford for that period and the negs just didn't have much contrast.

David Donovan, a friend who shoots medium format, got mad at Kodak for a while, and tried to make Ilford films work. The work just didn't look as good. A few months ago he switched back to Tri-X and is happier than he ever was.

(However, Patricia Richards' prints from her 8x10 Ilford negs really SING.)

I'm not thrilled that Tri-X 8x10 is available only in 10-sheet boxes now, because it's a minor irritation when I'm loading. But it's a terrific film.

My two cents.

William

I shop at Glaziers. Someone came in over the weekend and purchased all their 8x10 TriX (didn't want to bring it on the plane to Seattle). According to Glazier's, Kodak cuts 5x7 only twice a year, so they can't reorder as it sells but must anticipate their needs and stock up; if they miscalculate....no film for us to buy. Yes, they had Kodak 4x5 in stock, but I want to be able to use the same product in all formats and that doesn't seem possible with Kodak.

One nice thing about living in a metropolis is that one should be able to go to the camera store and purchase film. I suppose I could order from B&H or Badger; that obviates the advantage of living in a major city. You just expect that you can get film when you need it, not think ahead a month and have it shipped. I don't have that luxury with Kodak anymore, and I will with Ilford.

Sounds like sour grapes, what happens when you get a grudge going with Ilford, will you switch to Adox? FYI Freestyle can shipped to Seattle quickly, why depend on Glazer's? Unless you are talking about a Seattle company called, "Glaziers" who are responsible for selecting, cutting, installing, replacing, and removing all types of glass.

"I suppose I could order from B&H or Badger; that obviates the advantage of living in a major city."

Yeah, it is really difficult to pick up the phone and call Jeff, Jim at MW or B&H and have the film arrive a few days later at the front door.