Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good cop Bad cop

Re: Good cop Bad cop

Thanks Jim. I have found by trial and a lot of error that my eyes still have enough accomodation that I see much more structure in the ground glass image than ends up in the print - I'm using the non-scattered light to see somewhat in front of and behind the focal plane. I actually spent some time trying to use 'bad' bokeh to create texture in scenes with a lot of tight, calligraphic detail, but eventually realised that most of what was exciting me on the ground glass was never making it into the final print.

I quite often aim for an 'all-over' composition without a single centre of interest, in which case the smaller aperture tends to win. It took me a long time to learn that for these types of photograph a narrower depth of field makes things look *more* three-dimensional in the final print, in contradiction to the case with wide-angle f64 type scenics. I now think of DOF as flattening or expanding the depth of the printed image, rather than just being a measure of sharpness.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I used to do similar comparisons, until I finally determined that all lenses are really about the same...

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Jim the first one, Daniel the second one.

I like both, but I like the first better. I much prefer the truck effect in the second, but I would rather the tree be OOF. Looks like you changed the focus point between the two.

Don Nelson

Daniel
    I like the last one best ---for several reasons
    first, you've lowered your point of view to just below the roof of the truck instead of a 3/4 view from above which the first two had.
    and your lens choice with the softening really makes a difference to me.
    Excellent!

2nd tree branches
    first tree branches image has it's center along the top edge of the photo with bit coming down through the center while the second seems more chaotic and balanced ..more pleasing ..the middle light branch is sharper, too. Contrast is different between them

1st truck photo
    I really like the light on the tree and the shallower dof ..gives impression of openness -a path leading away from truck that the second with more dof just doesn't have -which leaves it [second] looking stuck in an otherwise conjested woods setting
    I like lesser amount of sticks seen where the hood? would be and the lower branches of 1st tree as its leaves seem to to be gently falling while the second looks more like bramble
    The grill/bumper axle of second creates a wedge of truck in a circular space which ..whatever
    I like the leaning trees, too. Second looks more modern in aesthetic being clean and straight 1st is more romantically framed and I believe plain better
    Don't care for 3rd

daisy the cow.

1st one is my cooke 15 inch f4.5 SF at f8 with #3 soft focus.

2nd is my eidoscope at f8. about a 15 inch lens as well.

(it looks like i prefer the eidoscope at f13 as it has a better buzz and contrast as well. the cooke probably needs to be shot at f5 or 6 to get the max buzz)

i am still working on my galli style......

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    daisy the cow.

1st one is my cooke 15 inch f4.5 SF at f8 with #3 soft focus.

2nd is my eidoscope at f8. about a 15 inch lens as well.

(it looks like i prefer the eidoscope at f13 as it has a better buzz and contrast as well. the cooke probably needs to be shot at f5 or 6 to get the max buzz)

i am still working on my galli style......

eddie
    Daisy's looking gaunt. I like the Eidoscop version. No surprises there.

thanks jim.

no one else liked it.....go figure.

forgot to mention, 5x7 black aluminum wet plate collodion image.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I much prefer the first lens. The image from the second lens effects me on a physical level and disturbs my stomach.

I personally can't see any point using a lens that has distortion or what is to me distortion. This could well be because I'm not a photographer and I really only use photography as another image making tool that allows me some instant gratification and time away form the brushes and canvas.

Chris.