Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fuji Quckchange holder, holds 8 pieces of sheet film!

New Fuji Quckchange holder, holds 8 pieces of sheet film!

Finally Fuji has introduced a film holder that holds packets of 8 pieces of 4x5 film, similar to the old 6 load film holder. It seems like a very ingenous desi gn and will most likely keep the film flatter vs a conventional holder. You can use any film in the holder and what's really great is you only need one holder which you then insert your packets (8) of film into it! Great for field work a nd compact backpacks. RW site has extensive review and pix of it... scroll hal fway down the page to read!

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/accessories.htm

Has anyone tried this yet?

Wow! This is VERY big (and good) news! Thanks for posting it, Bill; I'll be eager to hear users' reports....

"I'll be eager to hear users' reports.... "

So do I ! I wonder how it will take repeated reuse of the cartridges over the ye ars and how easy it is to load. But if it keeps it's promises, it should be a good way to use bulk film instead of the more expensive QuickLoad.

Hi all,

I have had this unit for over a week now. First I took it apart and studied the mechanics of it. Then I shot 8 sheets of film and developed them.

The Robert White website has some good information and I urge you to take a look. These units have been available in Japan for a few years now. For some reason Fuji will not distribute them anywhere else. Luckily for us RW got his hands on them. Here are my initial thoughts..

The holder is very solid. A very high level of construction, almost all metal. However, the film cartridge is plastic and needs to be shown a little more care.

Reloading the cartridge with your own film is a little fiddly the first couple of times. As with most things, it becomes easier the more you practice it.

Once you look inside it you can see how it shuffles the film sheets around. Part of this mechanism has the added feature that the sheet of film you are shooting is kept very flat using a few 'spring like things'

It is also very foolproof in taking you through the 8 sheets. It stops functioning when the counter hits 8. This very easily reset. It doesn't need a screwdriver as RW suggests. You can do it with your fingernail.

The unit is very light-tight, as you would expect. I waved the cartridge and then the holder around in bright sunlight, no leaks.

I am very impressed with this unit. If I am shooting more than 5 or so sheets I will definitely be using it. Purchasing extra film cartridges is also a good idea.

Hope that helps a little, if you have any specific questions fire away.

Stephen.

Awesome! An updated Grafmatic!

Just order one from RW so should have it tomorrow.

I'm off to the Middle East next week, weighed down with 12 DDS and 400 sheets of Provia. Think I'll squeeze this unit into the rucksack and see how it performs in the desert. Will report back next month after I get back. Huge thanks to Bill for the tip-off.

Am I missing something? The 8 sheet holder's been available here in Japan for ages, I think; in fact it's only a month a so ago that I posted a question here asking if it was any good. Is this a new version?

Gavin,

Top quality sashimi has been available there in Japan for ages too - that didn't stop people over here getting really excited when it started arriving on these shores!

Yes it seems it is the same holder. But it's arrival in the west is quite a breakthrough.

According to Fujifilm's website, you can get Provia 100, Astia 100 and Velvia in QuickChange. If you want something else I guess you can always load a magazine yourself, although can you actually get an empty holder? Is it something you can open up yourself without destroying it, or is it an APS cartridge type idea where Fuji lock everything up so you have to go to them for processing? Can't think they'd do that, because for 4x5 they've surely got to cater for people doing their own processing.

Gavin, the cartridge, as per RW site can be re used. However, they do not sell empty carts... I think they want to sell the more expensive film which is sold pre loaded in the carts. RW claims, although the carts are not desgined for re loading, they easily can be used that way. YOu just have to use a screwdriver and pry something open... he describes it well on his page...

Gavin,

The film cartridge containing 8 sheets can be easily emptied and reloaded. You do NOT need a screwdriver to pry anything open. You simply press down on a recessed button/latch at the end of the cartridge and empty the contents. The sheet films are housed in holders which are easy to refill. There is a counter on the cartridge which needs to be turned forward to show sheet 1, this can be done with a fingernail, a pencil or just about anything. It requires a gentle touch. Fuji designed these cartridges to be easily opened without being destroyed. They took no measures to stop them from being used again with fresh film.

The RW site explains the product well, though gives no detailed proceedure for reloading the film (last time I looked). However, non of this is rocket science and a quick hands on session is all you need to discover how to unlock the cartridge.

Stephen.