Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuweep at the Grand Canyon

Tuweep at the Grand Canyon

Hi. I am set to go to Tuweep (Toroweep) next week. I have a modified 4wd Trooper that can handle the worst roads possible. The Ranger told me that the last 5 miles is pretty rough and I want to pull my small outback teardrop sleeper trailer in with me. The trailer has about 10 inches of road clearance. Has anyone recently been on any of the three possible roads in and can tell me the road conditions?

It seems that the sun would be pretty much overhead mid-day in late May. How are the sun angles in early and late day? There is a 20% to 30% chance for rain on the days I'll be there,and I'm thinking that this will give me some interesting clouds.

I plan to stay out there for three nights to get away, read and star gaze as well.

Thanks

Re: Tuweep at the Grand Canyon

Please do give us an update when you get back. Its on my bucket list, for sure.

I've also been thinking about getting some little bitty rv, for just those kind of spots. It would be interesting to see how you make out there.

Hi Steve,
    It's been about three years since I've been down there. We were in a Subaru and had no problem. Take lot's of water, we were only planning to stay three days but liked it so much stayed a week after we bummed enough water from people that were leaving.
    The road can be washboarded most of the way and you have to pick your way around boulders and potholes the last couple. Great hiking along the rim up river, three mile steep hike down to the river and Lava Falls, and wildflowers around the Vulcans Throne. It's a photographers paradise. The river seemed to run mostly northeast to southwest, so clouds are a good thing. The ranger was a pretty laid back fun guy and a good source for natural history. I'd like to go back, but there's so many other good places in that neck of the woods to check out.
    Did I mention take plenty of water!
    Thad

I have travelled this road twice, both times in a passenger car. As mentioned, the first 55 miles are graded dirt and occasionally washboard. The last 5 miles twist a bit and can have small sections of washout, pot holes, and rocks. I would be more concerned with getting a flat than in negotiating the road. It is moderately well travelled by visitors and rangers. Well worth the trip. One of the most insanely beautiful spots on the Colorado Plateau.

That last stretch of road is insane, and I wasn't even sure I was still on the road in some spots where it's all rock, but while on the rim I met someone who had driven out in a compact car that didn't have any more clearance than your trailer. If you take it easy, you'll probably be fine. I would think the main problem with pulling a trailer would be the all the bouncing over the very uneven road, but I've never pulled a trailer so I'm not sure how they handle.
    Colleen

I was there a couple years ago in December. In my opinion, 10 inches clearance on your camper will get you there with no problems. I've been on much worse roads. The Toroweap road was pretty mellow.
    Laurent

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaving from Phoenix tomorrow and will report back. Steve

I was out there for a couple of hours yesterday. 10 inches should be plenty of clearance to make it down the "trail" through the park to the camp ground.
    The 60+ miles of road is rutty and washboardy doesn't look like it has been graded this year. During the time I was there some nice weather was starting to form,but it was quite hazey and breezy.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sample View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am leaving from Phoenix tomorrow and will report back. Steve
    Well, I spent two nights out there on the 29th and 30th of May. The road was long and washboard and really dusty. The last 5 miles was very rough, but I had no problems with my trailer. Unfortunately, it was hot and windy and the canyon was very hazy. I couldn't get any good photos. I did take a few marginal digital photos with my nikon. Also, with the season (now in late May) the evening light was already too low in the north sky to illuminate the canyon without huge canyon wall shadows in the view back up stream to the northeast. Midday, the full canyon is lit, but very flat in appearance. I will go back in January or February next year to get the correct light angles into the canyon and cooler and clearer weather. It it well worth the long trip,regardless, just for the solitude. Steve

I've not been there yet but there is a lot to shoot at the Grand Canyon without venturing off the beaten path. I would like to go there sometime though.

I have all my Grand Canyon shots in this album:

http://douglasdolde.com/grandcanyon.html