Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Carbon Fiber Camera to go with your Carbon Fiber Tripod

A Carbon Fiber Camera to go with your Carbon Fiber Tripod

In case you've never seen one, there is a Carbon Infinity up for bid on eBay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1286891875

I have absolutely no affiliation with the seller of this camera - I don't know h im from Adam. There are a lot of jpegs of this truly unique and rare camera acc ompanying his auction listing, so I thought some of you might want to see what o ne of these babies looks like.

P.S. for Tuan. Since the eBay listing will expire 30 days after the conclusion of the auction, you might not want to archive this post. Also, you might want t o email the seller (or eventual buyer) and ask if they would want to write a rev iew of the camera for your web site - or at the very least if the seller would a llow you to lift the jpegs from his auction listing for inclusion on your web si te.

Kerry I saw the camera you mention, although unusual I have serious doubts as to it's stability. My gitzo CF tripod has 1 and 1/2 inch thick legs...the little standards in this camera seemed to flimsy to me, in addition the way it extends on just a strip of CF rod...I don't know I certainly would not spend $6000 dollars on something like this, if I recall correctly it is the second time it has been put for auction. BTW the weight of my TK45 is 6 punds, and my Gandolfi 8x10 8 pounds, this camera is 7 pounds....why use CF if you end up with a camera just as heavy as the rest?...lol.

Greetings,

I actually saw and held one of these. It did appear to be quite stable and nicely made. The only thing I did not like about this camera is its size. Folded into its case it's quite a large package, bigger than some 5x7's. It also takes a bit to setup and break- down. Interesting nonetheless.

Regards,

As a word to the wise. Ken Hansen Photo has 4 or 5 new ones and will sell them new for $1800.00.

$6000.00 was a long time ago.

Jorge,

I'm certainly NOT recommending this camera to anyone. I've never seen or handle d one in person (and I avoid recommending anything I haven't tried myself). Jus t thought folks might want to see some pictures of what one looks like.

As far as rigidity - again, I haven't used one - the legs on carbon fiber tripod s are hollow, the standards and rails on this camera (from the picture) appear t o be solid. Carbon fiber is a very light material, that CAN be very rigid. The rigidity of the material depends on how it is manufactured. The overall rigidi ty of a carbon fiber camera (or tripod) is also HIGHLY dependent on the mechanic al design. Not saying the Carbon Infinity is or isn't a rigid camera, I don't k now. Nor can I tell just looking at the pictures.

WRT price - was it really $6000? I seem to recall the price being more like $30 00 back when the company was still in business.

"why use CF if you end up with a camera just as heavy as the rest"

This is the real mystery. I remember asking myself this very same question back when this camera first came out. Yeah, it self-cases and I seem to remember bo ld claims about the durability, but really, I don't stand on, or drive over my c ameras. Nor do I know anyone who does.

Finally... Bob, thanks for the tip on Ken Hansen. Do they have a web site? I' m not in the market for a new camera, but if they really have several sitting ar ound unsold, perhaps they might be willing to send me one for review. At $1800 it's priced more in line with other brands of comparable specification.

Kerry

212 317 0923

The Ken Hansen website is www.phototoys.com, but it's not too informative.

WOW!! Groovy looking camera!! Seen an advert for one for sale but never known what they look like. A dealer here in the UK has had a used one advertised for about 3 years!! Priced at #2000 (UK pounds). Obviously price was their downfall? It would be really interesting to hear from anyone who has actually used one.

BTW, this camera was made by 2 people in GB working basically in their garage so it is English in concept, design and execution.

"it is English in concept, design and execution"

As is the Gandolfi Traditional I am currently reviewing. You could not get two more different cameras in terms of materials, design or construction - or tenure . Seems like the Carbon Infinity folks went out of business almost immediately upon producing their first batch of cameras. Gandolfi, on the other hand is plu gging along quite nicely in the 116th year.

Kerry