Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large format Epson Printers Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large format Epson Printers Advice

I've been using an Epson 4000 for years. I'm very happy with the 2-dimensional artwork and surface design on matt papers; less happy but can live with photographs on luster paper. Not so happy with wasteful ink clogging.

The most important use for me is 2-dimensional artwork and surface design on matt work (where it's used professionally). Photography is a hobby.

From time to time, I may want to print wider than 17", but am not sure whether to outsource those prints.

I've been thinking of adding a new printer (i) in order to take advantage of newer inks, (ii) avoid expensive clogging and (iii) print wider than 17".

The printers I'm thinking about are:

Epson 4880, Epson 7880 and Epson 7900. I know nothing about Canon and HP printers.

Do you have any big picture suggestions or things I should be aware of in terms of (i) print quality or (ii) printing costs that I should be aware of or investigate before deciding whether to upgrade, and to which printer?

Re: Large format Epson Printers Advice

Investigate the Canon iPF 5000 and slightly newer iPF 5100. They are 17" printers. Unless you do a lot of printing wider than 17", it may be more economical to send the wide stuff out. I know someone who is MOST particular about his photo printing and he is quite happy with the Canon iPF 5000. The folks at Luminous Landscape wrote about the Canon iPF 5000.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-ipf5000.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...00-terms.shtml

If you must have a printer for stock wider than 17", I was never here.

Good luck!

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Luminous-landscape.com recently posted its user report on the 7900. The author seems to be very happy with it:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...900-9900.shtml

They do seem to like everything. I removed them from my critical evaluation of stuff because of this.

Currently we use a Cannon 9000 60inch printer and are very happy with it, before that we used Epson 9600's which served us well.
    After one week of use with the Cannon we gave away the two Epsons 9600 .

Last fall I used an Epson 7800 24inch on a week long project away from the Lab and was very impressed indeed with the unit.

I would say that any of the Current main brand, Cannon, Epson, HP , Roland all have there strengths and weaknesses over one another but at the end of the day they all are pretty impressive devices. I don't think you can go wrong.

Our thinking two- three years of great usage for each device and then move on to the better and best that is currently being offered. I am sure they are built this way to keep the buyer hooked.

I bought a 7900 in March. It is awesome !

falth j

Pehaps...

you could also take into consideration the HP designjet z3100, or the z3200 series.

If you have the space, because it needs it own stand as weighs about 150 lbs, and the shipping weight is listed at 240 lbs.

I attended a workshop when the z3100 had been on the market for about a year, and had a chance to compare it with a couple of epsons and a canon.

It is basically a roll printer, but with some patience, you can learn to coax sheets out of it as well.

Not only were the prints remarkable at the time, but for the money today, and the built-in spectrophotometer for making paper profiles, you probably can't go wrong.

Since the z3100 has been replaced by the z3200, the price on the internet has dropped to the point were you can pick one up a 24" factory new model for about $1,400.00, from an authorized HP retail partner, shipping included, and with a little shoping you can cut the price of the 130ml inks to a manageable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by falth j View Post
    Since the z3100 has been replaced by the z3200, the price on the internet has dropped to the point were you can pick one up a 24" factory new model for about $1,400.00, from an authorized HP retail partner, shipping included, and with a little shoping you can cut the price of the 130ml inks to a manageable amount.
    I tried finding Z3100 printers on web for $1400 and failed to find any near that price. Can you point me to a source for that deal?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

I have a 4800 and a 9800 - both are great. The 4800 clogs reasonably frequently, but the 9800 hasn't clogged yet in over a year of use. The one thing that the 4800 (et seq) has over the 7XXX/9XXX series is the paper tray. With the larger printers you either need to feed one sheet at a time or (much more likely) feed in roll paper. We keep a 44" role of canvas in the 9800 - it works wonderfully as a canvas printer for gallery wrap photos. I put in a stack of whatever size paper I need into the paper tray of the 4800, and let it chug away.

Cheers!
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill L.; 20-May-2009 at 17:05. Reason: typo

Do you believe that the newer inks are truly an improvement over the the Epson 4000 for non-photographic designs on matt paper?