Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crop Tool Problem with CS3

Crop Tool Problem with CS3

I am suddenly experiencing a strange problem with the cropping tool in CS3. When I use the tool, select the area that should be cropped then apply the action, large files are suddenly reduced to nothing but two or three bytes. It happens with every file I have tried, regardless of mode or original size. Everything was working fine just a few days ago, and the problem appears to occur only with the crop tool. And so far as I can tell there are no problems with the computer, an Intel iMAC running OS 10.4.11. I have been using CS3 on this iMAC for well over 1.5 years with no previous issues.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this problem?

Sandy King

Re: Crop Tool Problem with CS3

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I am suddenly experiencing a strange problem with the cropping tool in CS3. When I use the tool, select the area that should be cropped then apply the action, large files are suddenly reduced to nothing but two or three bytes. It happens with every file I have tried, regardless of mode or original size. Everything was working fine just a few days ago, and the problem appears to occur only with the crop tool. And so far as I can tell there are no problems with the computer, an Intel iMAC running OS 10.4.11. I have been using CS3 on this iMAC for well over 1.5 years with no previous issues.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this problem?

Sandy King
    Sandy,

You might check to see if the resolution box (to the right of the boxes where you can set you width and height) is set to your appropriate pixels/inch or pixels/cm.) If that box gets changed, it reduces your file size. I know that ocassionally I somehow have changed it accidentally. Jim

Happened to me once. I think I just needed to hit "clear" up in the tool bar.

Make sure the units in the crop dimensions are in inches or cm and not pixels.

Jim,

Clicking on "Clear" on the top tool bar worked for me as well. I don't have a clue what I did to create this situation, or why "Clear" cleaned it up, but at least I can use the Crop tool again.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Happened to me once. I think I just needed to hit "clear" up in the tool bar.

Similar problem.
    I always use the rectangle selection mode and Image/crop command because I've never figured out how to use the crop tool to do the following: set a rectangular selection with a fixed aspect ratio and crop without having to mess with resolution at the same time. When I tried that before, I got the same result Sandy did : I entered 4W and 5H and got a picture that was 5 x 4 PIXELS.

Is it possible to set a rectangular selection with a fixed aspect ratio and crop without changing anything else at the same time.?

To reset the configuration of CS2 or CS3 to the original settings hold down the control, alt, and shift key while opening PS. A prompt should appear asking if you want to delete the Photoshop setting file to which the proper reply is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSJones View Post
    Similar problem.
    I always use the rectangle selection mode and Image/crop command because I've never figured out how to use the crop tool to do the following: set a rectangular selection with a fixed aspect ratio and crop without having to mess with resolution at the same time. When I tried that before, I got the same result Sandy did : I entered 4W and 5H and got a picture that was 5 x 4 PIXELS.

Is it possible to set a rectangular selection with a fixed aspect ratio and crop without changing anything else at the same time.?
    Yes, that is covered in the CS2 book authored by Kelby. I don't have my copy in front of me at the moment but I remember that well.

Donald,

Thanks. Very good pointers.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    To reset the configuration of CS2 or CS3 to the original settings hold down the control, alt, and shift key while opening PS. A prompt should appear asking if you want to delete the Photoshop setting file to which the proper reply is yes.

Would dumping your preferences help?