Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Copal Shutter

Kevin Kolosky

Sinar Copal Shutter

For those of you who own and use the Sinar Copal Shutter. Have you found that it is very hard to get them to fit onto the camera. I put mine on the camera and cannot seem to get it close enough so that the clip will close down. What did y ou do if you had that problem.

Kevin

Sinar Copal Shutter

Kevin, you will excuse me for mentioning it, but somehow in the past I've gotten the impression that you only use lenses in barrell, because shutters somehow destroy the sharpness. At the time, I did not agree with your POV, and wonder if you have changed your mind. Regards.

Sinar Copal Shutter

Kevin,

There are two rubber strips on the front shutter face, I took them off, and then my shutter goes onto my camera easily and securely. I don't really know why they are there and what they are used for. I know there are different versions of Sinar Copal shutters and different versions of Sinar camera front standards, maybe our camera and shutter versions do NOT match. I'd like to see some expert explanations on this thread.

Wilhelm,

The Sinar Copal shutter is great for those barrel soft focus lenses.

Cheers,

Kevin Kolosky

Sinar Copal Shutter

My point of view remains the same. Shutters create vibration, and vibration destroys sharpness. The tradeoff in using the shutter is of course accuracy in exposure.I just purchased the shutter two days ago. If it ruins my sharpness I will sell it. Kevin

Sinar Copal Shutter

"Shutters create vibration, and vibration"

Especially the one you just bought.

The shutter (mechanical) with the least vibration is the Prontor Professional and many studios do multiple pops on this shutter with no sign of ghosting.

Why is it that all those studios shooting large format, medium format and 35mm don't have the same complaint you do while using shutters/

Kevin Kolosky

Sinar Copal Shutter

why is it that all of those studios don't have the same comlaint as I do? I don't know. I am not them. I do agree. this Sinar shutter creates one hell of a vibration.

Sinar Copal Shutter

"why is it that all of those studios don't have the same comlaint as I do? I don't know"

Usually that is a sign of differing technique.

It is obvious that they are not trying to obtain vibration as ther is none in their work.

As an example John Sexton with his Power Plant series all done with a light weight field camerta (metal)

Kevin Kolosky

Sinar Copal Shutter

I don't know that I am trying to obtain vibration. I think it is a law of nature. I learned my view camera technique a long time ago when a student at Brooks Institute. I doubt it is much different from other techniques.

Kevin

Sinar Copal Shutter

Sorry Kevin, I don't buy it.

Lots of Brooks, RIT, Ohio, Hawkeye and all type of other students use shutters with proper results.

We have sold 10s of 1000s of lenses in shutters from Zeiss (Prontor and Compur), Copal, Horseman and Rollei with 0 complaints regarding any, much less excessive, vibration.

Your stance sounds more like a mantra. It certainly isn't factual.

Kevin Kolosky

Sinar Copal Shutter

Bob

Say what you like. Doesnt bother me.

Kevin