Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Photography Schools/MFA

Re: Photography Schools/MFA

A good faculty, Doug Dubois in particular, who I have known for many years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The website is finally up......for the new Hartford Art School MFA program......please see it here:

www.hartfordphotomfa.org

Looks good Robert. I wish I was 25 and needed another MFA!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Jim Ewins

Get a job doing something else - get a feel for the real world, then get a job in different photographic disciplines - you may then understand what a BFA is worth to you ans to others. A degree is no guarantee of ability or performance - but government types like to hide behind them.

It seems like a lot of people are recommending Chicago Institute of Art. I am going through the process of looking at art schools and just got in touch with Seattle I of A. Not to ask a question that has been answered, but why would someone recommend the Chicago campus over Seattle? I am interested in a BFA in Photography...and obviously am into using film. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is comparing apples to oranges. SIA appears to be a commercially oriented program. see this from their site.

"The Art Institutes schools offer a broad range of programs including: Audio Production, Computer Animation, Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, Fashion Design, Fashion & Retail Management, Graphic Design, Industrial Design Technology, Interactive Media Design, Interior Design, Media Arts & Animation, Photography, Restaurant Management and Video Production."

The School of the Art Institute of Chicago is a leading fine art program. See my earlier post about the rankings of fine art programs if that is what you are looking for. For schools that just do commercial I can't speak to that-for a combination of art and commercial, I like Columbia College in Chicago.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Ah, got it. Thank you Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by robert lyons View Post
    The website is finally up......for the new Hartford Art School MFA program......please see it here:

www.hartfordphotomfa.org
    While an interesting option for people unable to leave their full-time jobs or other commitments in order to become full time students, I continue to have my doubts about so-called "limited residency" programs. One of the main reasons for even being in an MFA program is the opportunity to eat, sleep and breathe art practice with a group of like minded individuals for two straight years. Limited residency seems to defeat that purpose.

Also, I find it a little hypocritical that the Hartford program requires all applicants to already have a B.A. or B.F.A. when at least one of its own faculty apparently doesn't (but instead has a Ph.D. in astrophysics). Do as I say, not as I do?

Jedi Knight

This MFA is all I ever asked...unfortunately I need 2 more years in college to get my BFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvenosa View Post
    This MFA is all I ever asked...unfortunately I need 2 more years in college to get my BFA.
    Allow me to clarify: I am not saying that people without a bachelor's degree should be able to get into the Hartford MFA program. A master's degree should require a bachelor's degree as a logical order of progression. However, if you look at the top programs in the United States, the majority of them don't require a formal art background. They evaluate their applicants based on portfolio, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and finally, interview. At the most, they may require a certain number of credit-hours of upper level Art History and other related courses (for example, School of Visual Arts and the University of New Mexico). But as long as you have a bachelor's degree, in any field, from an accredited institution, you are a qualified applicant.

Hartford faculty member Dr. Colberg, an astrophysicist by formal training, has proven his own merits in the field of art photography critique without requiring a specific piece of paper to do so. Why not hold your applicants to the same standards?

I think the reputation of any program ultimately comes from both the quality of its offerings and achievements of its graduates. And to turn away potentially great candidates just because they have a B.Sc. or other non-B.A. or B.F.A. degree is a little shortsighted, and even unfair in this particular situation.
    Last edited by culprit; 21-Jan-2010 at 09:01. Reason: additional info