Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide open Petzval portraits: How to keep focused.

Re: Wide open Petzval portraits: How to keep focused.

If you are using modern film you got it easy!!!

Try to get a 7 yr. old to hold still in that razor sharp plane for 4s......
    The sitter has to be able to hold still somehow....
    A wall or brace as mentioned above are the best.

I've used the string method on occasions when the subject tended to more around a lot. Even when seated, sometimes a sitter would bounce around. But I tied the string to a button with an eyelet in the back. This way the sitter can hold the top (flat part of the button) against their face. ( I use the brow above the eye I'm focusing on) Before I plan on shooting, I have them set the button on their face and I focus the camera. Then I tell them to relax and just hold onto the button (hand in lap if sitting or just down at their side if standing is fine) Then I set my shutter/lens, insert film/pull darkslide and then have them set the button on the face again. Then they let go of the button. At this time, I can watch them as see if they more. Occasionally, they will move a lot so I might have to hand them the button again, but the camera is still ready to shoot when ready.

I don't have any good answers. I managed to mess up 6 out of 6 11X14's the other day of a lady I'd been dreaming of photographing for some time. Deer fever? Or did she lean slightly into the pose trying to help me out each time? Enough to make you re-think the brilliance of an Autocord.

smooches

Here I focused on the near eye and nose.................

I usually focus on the bridge of the nose hoping I have enough depth to fool you into thinking both the eyes and nose are focused. I then say gently but firmly.....

DON'T MOVE!!!

This works often enough that it keeps me on the quest, but if this were a commercial venture the failure rate would put me out of business fairly quickly.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lewis View Post
    Lachlan,

Your question is exactly what I would like to ask. What techniques has anyone developed / invented to keep the subject in focus between focusing the camera and exposing the film?

I have thought of using one of now outdated light activated devices that shopkeepers used on their shop doors to warn when customers entered. When customers walk through the beam, an alarm sounds. If I set up the beam so that if the subject's face is just say 5mm from activating it, focus in this position, then in theory I just ensure the subjects face is just off activating the the beam again when I expose.

But all these methods sound clumsy to me and off putting for the subject which is the opposite to what I want.

This is Lachlans thread, but I feel someone out there must have developed a good technique to cope with keeping the subject in this very tight focus range?????
    I've thought of electrodes, strategically positioned, but feel that I would get sidetracked zapping just for the fun of it.

Mind you, if I could fire the shutter at the same time as the electrodes, a good image might be had!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    you can make some sort of a head brace.

i have not used the below brace....i am making one though.

eddie
    Thanks, Eddie.

I was thinking along the same line. I had thought of using a cup, rather than your U-shaped pacifier. Something like the old cups that used to be found as headrests on ancient dentists' chairs.

Maybe a little less threatening? Even more relaxing?

Nice shots, BTW!

Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I've used the string method on occasions when the subject tended to more around a lot. Even when seated, sometimes a sitter would bounce around. But I tied the string to a button with an eyelet in the back. This way the sitter can hold the top (flat part of the button) against their face. ( I use the brow above the eye I'm focusing on) Before I plan on shooting, I have them set the button on their face and I focus the camera. Then I tell them to relax and just hold onto the button (hand in lap if sitting or just down at their side if standing is fine) Then I set my shutter/lens, insert film/pull darkslide and then have them set the button on the face again. Then they let go of the button. At this time, I can watch them as see if they more. Occasionally, they will move a lot so I might have to hand them the button again, but the camera is still ready to shoot when ready.
    Nice system, John. Thanks for the advice!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I don't have any good answers. I managed to mess up 6 out of 6 11X14's the other day of a lady I'd been dreaming of photographing for some time. Deer fever? Or did she lean slightly into the pose trying to help me out each time? Here I focused on the near eye and nose.................

I usually focus on the bridge of the nose hoping I have enough depth to fool you into thinking both the eyes and nose are focused.
    Thanks, Jim.

Maybe this is a somewhat related question then.

Perhaps composition is also important. Looking at the images that you posted, are Petval/wide aperture shooters constrained to the point of needing to keep the face parallel to the film plane so that both eyes in focus?

And, given I know that this is not really the case, I assume that it is still best to focus on the leading eye, given DOF is greater behind the point of focus than in front (although I doubt my skills are good enough to get focus that specific!!).

Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Thanks, Jim.

Maybe this is a somewhat related question then.

Perhaps composition is also important. Looking at the images that you posted, are Petval/wide aperture shooters constrained to the point of needing to keep the face parallel to the film plane so that both eyes in focus?

And, given I know that this is not really the case, I assume that it is still best to focus on the leading eye, given DOF is greater behind the point of focus than in front (although I doubt my skills are good enough to get focus that specific!!).

Lachlan.
    Of course, with view cameras you can use a bit of swing and get both eyes in focus even when the eyes are not in a plane parallel to the film's plane. That's why we like 'em.

Head-Brace. I never leave home without it:

http://www.studioq.com/photographs/m...dusty-trip.htm

Head-brace. I never leave home without it: