Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tioga Pass to Open 5/20

Tioga Pass to Open 5/20

I just received notice that the Tioga Road between Lee Vining and Crane Flat is scheduled to open on the 20th. Services won't be operational for another couple weeks, but the gas station at Tuolumne will be operational for credit card purchases.

The opening is in line with when NPS hopes to have the road open. The Glacier Point Road already was open the first week in May.

Re: Tioga Pass to Open 5/20

This will make the businesses in Lee Vining pleased. It is one of those situations where one is glad for the access, but still wishes there was enough snow to keep the pass closed until mid-June, or even later.

Tuolumne will be beautiful...

Vaughn

Preston Birdwell

Just to add...

Sonora Pass (9,640 ft.) on CA 108 is open, as well. If you've not been there, you're in for a treat.

It's time to hit the High Country!

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Ahhh, I hear The Whoa Nellie Deli calling me...mango margaritas--yum!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I was in Yosemite Valley last weekend photograping the less well known waterfalls: Wildcat, Foresta, Little Nellie, etc., and the mosquitoes were out in force so don't forget the deet.

Those are some pretty falls. Did you by any chance pick up a copy of Mike Osbourne's new book waterfall book, Granite, Water and Light? He has some really striking images of lesser known falls.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    Those are some pretty falls. Did you by any chance pick up a copy of Mike Osbourne's new book waterfall book, Granite, Water and Light? He has some really striking images of lesser known falls.
    Pretty they are and, except for the Cascades which drew a hand full of people, completely deserted - no one around to get in your light. The park, BTW, was packed last weekend and it will be even worse this weekend.

I haven't seen the book mentioned above but have made a note to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I was in Yosemite Valley last weekend photograping the less well known waterfalls: Wildcat, Foresta, Little Nellie, etc., and the mosquitoes were out in force so don't forget the deet.
    After my workshop a few week-ends ago, to decompress and to escape the hoards (people, not mosquitoes), I hiked/climbed to the base of a seasonal, unnamed falls just west of Sentinel Falls. The 8x10 had me breathing hard, but it was worth it. It is not too hard to escape the hoards (people, not mosquitoes), and even easier when the pass opens up (and one might even escape the mossies in the higher elevations!)

I'll have to check out Mike's book and visit some other falls, but it is always nice to "discover" them on one's own by wandering around and stumbling across them.

Vaughn

The park, BTW, was packed last weekend and it will be even worse this weekend.
    It was the same case the weekend of the 10th. I can't recall it being that busy that early in the season. Our group escaped to Glacier Point and from there I could see that traffic was backed up to Curry Village around 6 pm. But, it was also easy to see what brought the people up to the park. The falls were at their best, dogwood was peaking, fresh leaves on the trees...

I hiked/climbed to the base of a seasonal, unnamed falls just west of Sentinel Falls.
    I had my eye on that fall. It was really looking good two weeks ago. I've made that hike before. I thought there would be a pool at the base of Sentinel. No such luck, but it was a pretty view. Did you go up the 4-mile and across or follow the creek up?

The best thing about Mike's book is that in addition to classic views of the falls, he has some really special abstractions, not just details, but broad views with such unusual perspectives. Really neat, and really well written.

Preston, there is an interesting waterfall on the Sonora Pass road, just West of where the highway crosses over the summit, It is a steep slope and the heavy run off makes like waterwheels going down the mountain side.

I've never been able to find what it's name is---by any chance, do you know the one I'm talking about?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White