Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Went to BH photo today

Went to BH photo today

So I went BH today to look for a few things. 4x5 lens and other stuff. Didn't find a lens. The guy upstairs told me that I would be better off going to Calumet and the used dept was not really that helpful as the lens they have only were not able to be bought in the store. The trolly system above your head is pretty damn cool. I think it was just an off day. Found all the other crap that I needed. Store is just to damn big. They do have the checkout and delivery of the good down to a science!

santo

Re: Went to BH photo today

Also check out the used lens and camera dept of Lens & Repro in NYC. Sally Mann bought stuff from them when she got into wet plate photography.

http://www.lensandrepro.com/
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Ted Mastrandonas

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Also check out the used lens and camera dept of Lens & Repro in NYC. Sally Mann bought stuff from them when she got into wet plate photography.

http://www.lensandrepro.com/
    I bought my first used lens there many years ago, and still use it. As I looked up from the glass display cases I remember being astounded to see real prints from Ansel Adams and other famous photographers on the walls, which I had never seen before. I was told they were given in trade.

Just waiting to be developed..

B&H has a small LF used selection. The downsized it a few years back and never restocked.
    Its a shame but i did finally get my 65mm Fuji SWD from them.

Calumet has a small selection also. The last time i was in they had maybe 5 or 6 lenses in the store.
    Calumet.com has a full listing of all of the used gear in all of the stores. You can also rent some from them.

Lens and Repro has the largest selection in the city but they are expensive. They also have a few interesting and unique lenses, cameras and misc in the store.

Check out Photo Gizmo.
    They have a good selection of used LF and some ULF in stock.
    They are located at 134 W 26th, 10th floor, (212) 463-0130. The owner is very nice and helpful.

Adorama has a small selection and very little on display. But you can rent some of the lenses upstairs.
    The website is more useful then the store personnel sometimes.

Fotocare has a limited selection and helpful staff. They are near some schools and the prices are ok but not a steal.

KEH while not in the city usually have some of the best deals but nothing terribly unique or special.

Hope that helps.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Quote Originally Posted by IanMazursky View Post
    Check out Photo Gizmo.
    They have a good selection of used LF and some ULF in stock.
    They are located at 134 W 26th, 10th floor, (212) 463-0130. The owner is very nice and helpful.
    Per the website, Lou has closed the store and is going to continue the business as web-only.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Per the website, Lou has closed the store and is going to continue the business as web-only.
    That is a shame. Photogizzmo was a great place to just drop by, play, and chat. I hope Lou does well with his Internet business.

Thanks for the help. Yah the store was big and just seemed to be a cluster...well you know. Way too much stuff under one roof. I'll just my stuff via the web from them when I need it.

santo

I've found Lens and Repro isn't really a place where they let you browse. You have to ask them to show you stuff and know what you want ahead of time, or at least go at a slow time so you can engage them to ask questions.

Unfortunately, the real touch and feel experiences are gone. You can find a few items here and there but there is no easy way to compare things in person.

What a lot of people do, myself included, is to do some online research and study the prices of the previously sold items you're interested in, then wait patiently until a good deal comes along on forums like this one or eBay. As long as you purchase your exotic photo gear at a reasonable price, then you can use it for a while and resell it for a small loss or maybe even a small profit. People also do it to try and compare lenses. Some digital shooters buy three of the same lens and resell the two worst.

It seems to work so well that most of the large format manufacturers haven't needed to update their websites in a decade or so. We -- this forum in particular -- do it for them. Heck, Arca-Swiss doesn't even have a website and we end up providing tech support, promotion, marketing, PR, and sales! And where would Chamonix Cameras be without all the salespeople here and on APUG?

great store. fun to browse...but watch out.....money seems to jump out of the wallet!

like frank says you are probably better off buying online either here or apug, and as a last result e bay.

good luck fining your lens.

cheers

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

"I've found Lens and Repro isn't really a place where they let you browse."

Frank, that's 'cause your name ain't Sally Mann. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html