Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon Coast and Arcata, CA photographers...

Oregon Coast and Arcata, CA photographers...

I'm headin' out on a road trip....if anyone would like to hook up and meet, I'll be in Cannon Beach next Monday -Tuesday noon (18-19), then down to Beverly State park till Wed Noon( 19-20),then on down to Shore Acres Wednesday, Thursday and leave there Friday morning (20-22).

From there through the Redwoods to a campsite at Patrick's Point (Arcata Area) on Friday the 22nd.

I have campsites reserved at Beverly, Shore Acres (Sunset Bay State Park) and Patrick's point..Cannon Beach I'll be at Sea Ranch resort...or Wright's for camping.
    I have 3G phone so emails welcome

Welcome to crash the site, say hello, go shooting with me...

Matt
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Re: Oregon Coast and Arcata, CA photographers...

I might be able to drop by your campsite Friday evening (the 22nd) at Patricks' Point. We have not made plans yet for the long week-end , so plans for Saturday are still up in the air.

Vaughn

Cool...I was going to be up last October with Per and gang...but couldn't swing it.
    be great to meet you.

I'll be in Abalone 043
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

About what time do you think you'll pull into the campground? Silly Question, I know...lots to see and photograph between Shore Acres and Patricks Point. You'll be going through my favorite woods (along Prairie Creek).

Vaughn

PS...as per your post below, I'll email you that day.

I reckon about 5:00 pm Friday the 22...
    Allowing about 4-5 hrs for stopping and such..
    feel free to email me that day
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Matt, I hope you are having a great time! Damn, i wish I could have gone. It would have been a fun trip and seeing Vaughn would have been a bonus! Have a great trip and let me know when you get back. We stayed at Patrick's Point in October. Make sure you stop at Prairie Creek or better yet have Vaughn show you around.

Jim

Matt ... sounds like you won't have a lot of time after Patrick's Point State Park (one of my favorite places.)

Three suggestions for quick side trips with nice photo opportunities on the way South (assuming you're driving.)

1) Just South of Patrick's Point is the little fishing village of Trinidad (named by Sir Francis Drake on Trinity Sunday) ... right off the highway ... take the exit and drive West thru town (about 5 blocks) and the Main St. turns South ... in 3 blocks you'll come to an elevated, unobstructed view of 20 miles of coastline (with a small light house and fishing harbor in the foreground.) if you turn West from there and wind down the hill for about 8 blocks, you'll end up at the dock (which you can walk out on for photos) and a good little restaurant (The Seascape ... blackberry pancakes are fabulous and you have a view of the harbor ... often with seals and always with gulls) ... there is a little beach below the restaurant and a nice big beach 300 yds behind the restaurant facing North. If you take the short walk up the road and trail behind the restaurant onto Trinidad Head, you'll have an elevated unobstructed view of about 10 miles of coastline to the North.

2) Eureka ... 24 miles South of Trinidad. After you come across the bridge into town, look for the Samoa Bridge sign (Hwy 255 or "R" Street) ... turn West and go over the first part of the bridge and follow the signs to the Marina. Another nice restaurant overlooking a fairly big, working marina with fishing boats, sailing boats, etc ... and, you can walk right down on the docks for pictures ... and there's another light house. When you head back up to Eureka to get on 101, if you detour slightly to the South on 3rd Street, you'll run into the most photographed private residence in the U.S. ... the Carson Mansion ... an unbelievable Victorian built by a lumber baron to keep his employees working thru an economic downturn in the 1880/90s.

3) Roosevelt Redwoods ... about 16 miles South of Scotia (or 42 miles from Eureka) ... take the Mattole Rd (Hwy 211) west ... look for signs to Rockefeller Forest on your left within a couple of miles ... an amazing stand of old growth Redwoods with trails. When you return to 101, instead of continuing on 101 South, follow the signs for the Avenue of the Giants ... it is the old highway South and will take you through some more great stands of Redwoods.

3) Roosevelt Redwoods ... about 16 miles South of Scotia (or 42 miles from Eureka) ... take the Mattole Rd (Hwy 211) west ... look for signs to Rockefeller Forest on your left within a couple of miles ... an amazing stand of old growth Redwoods with trails. When you return to 101, instead of continuing on 101 South, follow the signs for the Avenue of the Giants ... it is the old highway South and will take you through some more great stands of Redwoods.

...Roosevelt Elk which comes in to the school house where you can photograph them close up...

Saratoga, CA

Maybe this is not the place to ask but when and where is the best time to photograph the Rhododendrons in the area?
    Gale

Gale ... here's the official word: "Bloom predictions can be difficult given seasonal weather variations, but they usually flower in April and May. A second burst of late bloomers often comes a month or so later." The Eureka Rhododendron Parade was held 4/25. If you pm Vaughn, he can tell you how they're looking this year.

Here's the site:
    http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=3722