Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NuArc 26-1K

Re: NuArc 26-1K

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew ren View Post
    BTW, love both yours and Jeremy's work, very nice!
    Same to you! Just checked out your site. Especially love County Road #5, gorgeous.

Andrew your photographs are outstanding, thank you for the compliment!

On the vacuum - I have the same model. Make sure that the vacuum is turned on, that the knob on the front of the unit is closed (this is the air release valve), and on mine I have to push the glass a bit to start the suction.

It does take over a minute for the bulb to come up to full brightness - when it does it is so bright it hurts to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    On the vacuum - I have the same model. Make sure that the vacuum is turned on, that the knob on the front of the unit is closed (this is the air release valve), and on mine I have to push the glass a bit to start the suction.
    This is not what should be required for a NuArc in working condition. You should be able to leave the bleed valve on the front panel set where you want and keep it there all of the time, you should not need to adjust it every time. I use ~8psi on my NuArc when printing and leave the bleed valve adjusted for this strength vacuum all of the time--once the negative/coated paper combo is in the frame with the glass down I just need to hit the vacuum button and wait 10-15 seconds. Don't expect the vacuum to jump straight to full either, it will take 10-15 seconds to come up to full pressure (if you're using ~8psi) as it has to suck out the air to create the void and this just takes a little bit. Finally, if you have to push the glass to start the suction then you can clean the rubber and glass to make sure there's not something causing it to not create suction or you may need to shim beneath the rubber mat to even the contact out. I built up layers of gaffer's tape underneath my rubber mat to even out the contact.

It does take over a minute for the bulb to come up to full brightness - when it does it is so bright it hurts to look at.
    And is putting out so much UV light that looking direction at it can cause photokeratitis (inflammation of the cornea) and even permanent eye damage. I put a skirt around my NuArc to reduce ambient UV light in the room.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I have special goggles with flip up lenses! real sci-fi looking when I print. I can scare the kids in my apartment complex if I forget to take them off!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    This is not what should be required for a NuArc in working condition. You should be able to leave the bleed valve on the front panel set where you want and keep it there all of the time, you should not need to adjust it every time. I use ~8psi on my NuArc when printing and leave the bleed valve adjusted for this strength vacuum all of the time--once the negative/coated paper combo is in the frame with the glass down I just need to hit the vacuum button and wait 10-15 seconds. Don't expect the vacuum to jump straight to full either, it will take 10-15 seconds to come up to full pressure (if you're using ~8psi) as it has to suck out the air to create the void and this just takes a little bit. Finally, if you have to push the glass to start the suction then you can clean the rubber and glass to make sure there's not something causing it to not create suction or you may need to shim beneath the rubber mat to even the contact out. I built up layers of gaffer's tape underneath my rubber mat to even out the contact.
    Yeah, I figure I need to clean the rubber and probably level it at some point.

Interesting about the valve - I use it as I was shown by the previous owner. I'll have to try leaving it in place next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I have special goggles with flip up lenses! real sci-fi looking when I print. I can scare the kids in my apartment complex if I forget to take them off!

Jim
    Cool idea - do you know what they are called? Right now I just avert my eyes when printing, but something longer term would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post

Jim
    Jim, these just sound too fun!

Yeah, I figure I need to clean the rubber and probably level it at some point.

Interesting about the valve - I use it as I was shown by the previous owner. I'll have to try leaving it in place next time.
    jbannow, there are there hinges on the glass, probably 2 on the back, one handle @ front to be precise, my problem is the whole rubber bed shift too far towards the back, the edges of the back hinges were caught on the outer rubber rim, that leaves a gap.

check out yours I bet the rubber bed was shifted over, I just came out of the basement, spent whole noon time to clean it and re-Velcro the entire bed.. its working wonderfully..

and for the valve thing, I agree with Jeremy, you just have to adjust to a point, and every time as you fire up the pump, if will reach and stay there...

Now I am ready to get wet...

Thanks everyone.

Andrew