Thread: The liberation of worn possessions

The liberation of worn possessions

I was thinking how much I prefer carrying around worn equipment. While by no means a careless user of equipment, I am made nervous around new things. I like working with lenses that have signs of use. Like me they have lines and marks of experience and I have come to understand their strengths, weaknesses and how they respond to challenging problems. This lens cannot be pointed too close to the sun, that shutter runs slow, and this camera works best with the 65mm lens. With these worn things I am more likely to conceive of the right picture under the right conditions and know how to use that lens to best advantage. It's always a bit of a crapshoot, true, but a good piece of equipment seems to give a little leeway. Large format photography is not about the perfect algorithm, but about multiple pathways and choices that can be utilized to solve visual problems. To me, a new ultra-sharp super-symmar is a solution looking for a problem - but not necessarily my problem. Whereas an old Velostigmat offers a more generous vantage, perhaps not as sharp, but capable of rendering an image in sometimes unexpectedly beautiful ways. My camera, a little paint-worn is robust and capable, I trust it to handle that heavy objective and to tolerate my big hands without losing varnish, dropping a nut or requiring frequent repairs in the field. I think that getting to know your equipment, hazarding the multiple steps required for a shot, appreciating the expense of film and of lost opportunities and, most importantly - engaging the hands directly in the process makes for better, more interesting photography.

Re: The liberation of worn possessions

Used gear is also more affordable!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Personally, I like that my equipment has a history that precedes me, and that it will be producing wonderful images long, long after I'm gone. It fits in well with my perceptions of time and life cycles. And I've made few (if any) images that I look at and think, "if only I'd had a newer, better camera or lens..."

Don't get me wrong... it's still fun to think about the newest lenses and daydream. And I still notice women in their 20's. But being a high school teacher pushing 53 years old, I know the limits of my years and my wallet...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

worn, chipped and obviously used gear makes it look like you may actually know what you are doing...

On the other hand, too much of my gear is either broken or wearing out from long use. I've spent *lots* in the last year on repairs, and there's more waiting. The latest trouble is a Gitzo with one jammed-up leg. But I've just come in from shooting in evening light, and I'm confident of two good photos, so I'm not complaining. The battered old stuff worked well for me today.

I use old gear. Some is VERY old. In my view, it works just as well as the expensive new stuff. I like old. I understand old. I am old.

It's just gear.

As long as it does what and how you need it to do, whatever it may be, all is well. When it stops doing it or starts getting in your way, it's time for new.

I couldn't care less how it makes me look, but I want it to work better than I do. The older I get, the more I want... no, the more I need my gear to function better than me, to make up for my growing deficiencies.