Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast Utah

Re: Southeast Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Don - I like the Cottonwood Steak House in Bluff. Or the Twin Rocks Cafe for a more local menu.
    I haven't had the pleasure of dining at the Cow Canyon Trading Post. I've only stayed in Bluff in the spring (March) and fall (October). The Cow Canyon restaurant is only open during the peak season months.

I have eaten at the Twin Rocks Cafe and Cottonwood Steakhouse multiple times. My kids preferred the Twin Rocks Cafe (they also have a pretty good breakfast). I like the Cottonwood Steakhouse for generous steaks, ribs and BBQ chicken.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    Laurent's book looks very good. It looks like everything he does is in color. True?
    Yes, but don't let that discourage you from getting his book. It's a tremendous guidebook chock full of information and directions to some great photo sites (and sights).

Kerry

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    I haven't had the pleasure of dining at the Cow Canyon Trading Post. I've only stayed in Bluff in the spring (March) and fall (October). The Cow Canyon restaurant is only open during the peak season months.

I have eaten at the Twin Rocks Cafe and Cottonwood Steakhouse multiple times. My kids preferred the Twin Rocks Cafe (they also have a pretty good breakfast). I like the Cottonwood Steakhouse for generous steaks, ribs and BBQ chicken.

Kerry
    Yes they are both good. But given the choice of the three I'll Choose Cow Canyon any day. I mostly go in September, after the crowds but while the San Juan still has water flow.

My wife just took a seminar in Moab, 5 nights in the same campground. 5 days of shooting and didn't run out of subjects.

Sounds like you're out for the foreign tourist special though, that's okay, have fun.

Just last week I discovered (on the internet) a new (newish) hotel at Monument Valley.

I have stayed in Monticello and Green River, Utah. Both were ok. Grocery stores in each. This isn't the Dark Side of the Moon. Services are available at convenient intervals of 30-40-50 miles.

The only other advice I can offer is avoid I-70 if at all possible and don't overlook Capital Reef N.P. It never gets mentioned in discussions like this.

Tsé Bit'a'í (the rock with wings) is just west of Farmington.
    I wouldn't miss Ship Rock either. A worthy candidate for a carbon print. You also didn't mention Mesa Verde N.P. You may see signs pointing down gravel roads to BLM historical areas. Anasazi ruins and the like. These are usually uncrowded.

Bon voyage!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Yeah, I think the Navajo built a new hotel right on the edge of the valley. Used to be an old dirt lot and a primitive campsite.

Cool Re: Southeast Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rabe View Post
    Yeah, I think the Navajo built a new hotel right on the edge of the valley. Used to be an old dirt lot and a primitive campsite.
    GOOGLE knows for sure. The only question in my mind: have they opened for business?
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    GOOGLE knows for sure. The only question in my mind: have they opened for business?
    The hotel was on the travel channel in January - its open. Classic view from the veranda of each room of the mittens

There you go. I'll be on the lookout for it on TV. That is great news for me. That's the only way I could Mrs. Venchka to stay in the Park. She doesn't camp.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

http://www.monumentvalleyview.com/

$195/night Queen bed
    $295/night King bed

John