Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 110 of 110

Thread: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

  1. #101

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,480

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    It really doesn't seem to matter-
    the arguments are yours, the original topic of this thread has been long sidestepped,
    and only your own agenda is at work.

    Apparently, the original topic was about stopping down, and aperture blades,
    and the effect it might have on the rendition of out of focus areas,
    insofar as I could decipher it.

    Lens design wasn't mentioned in the original proposition.

    ...

    joseph
    Joseph, I wholly agree with you, it's annoying if a thread is sidestepped.
    Congratulations, You know what the thread is about.
    Now what is it you said for the original topic discussed..? Pardon..?

  2. #102
    joseph
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,400

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    I come here to learn,
    and I've learned a lot here-

    I agree with Jim when he says that conversations about bokeh are a relatively new phenomenon,
    and discussions usually revolve about the quality of out of focus areas experienced by people using miniature formats.

    I agree with him when he says that bokeh from larger formats is generally a given-
    although I don't have any exotic or antique glass, the quality of bokeh (tautological) from my standard large format lenses is superior.

    Bokeh is a word borrowed from the Japanese,
    that is not to say that conversations about the same phenomenon haven't been part of photography and optics for centuries now-
    as has been demonstrated and referenced on this thread, despite protestations to the contrary.

    Bokeh is something I've only recently become acquainted with;
    shooting interiors using sharp wide angles,
    you tend not to come into contact with it too much.

    I'd much prefer, as a photographer, to talk about the qualities of the picture
    than become bogged down in a circular argument about antique lens design,
    which wasn't part of the premise of the original proposition.

    Photographers use lenses, get to know their character, and make lens selections based on the pictorial qualities (among other things) they want to achieve.
    I'll hang on any piece of useful information, and become irked by people who seem to pick niggardly contrary arguments seemingly for their own sake,
    and without making a positive addition to the conversation.

    Photographers generally don't design lenses-

    Last year, I did a little test, almost as an afterthought-
    so the two pictures don't match particularly well-
    the P55 wasn't scanned very well either...

    I post it here just to prove my interest in the subject...




    The projector lens didn't have a diaphragm,
    but the Nikkor /1.2 was shot wide open too.

    My interpretation of 'bokeh', the quality of out of focus areas of an image,
    includes rendition of those areas by lenses exhibiting abberations,
    including some of the portrait lenses mentioned.

    They might not have been designed with 'bokeh' in mind,
    but photographers have used them with 'bokeh' in mind.

    I really don't see the difficulty with this,
    and would really like to get back on track,
    and pick up some crumbs from those here who know what they are talking about,
    and are willing to add to the conversation-


    joseph

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Jul 1998
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Posts
    2,209

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    ...


  4. #104

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,480

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    ...
    They might not have been designed with 'bokeh' in mind,
    but photographers have used them with 'bokeh' in mind.

    I really don't see the difficulty with this,
    ...

    joseph
    Neither do I Joseph and that was what is so surprisingly contested by some without having a proof of the contrary.
    If you have access to the Applied Photography by Ray maybe you can find the explanation of the greater number of aperture leaves in some older lenses, surprised that nobody took that info up. Cheers!

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    7,797

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    I'll take the blame for any distraction. It was my post which diverted the subject.

    Oops ! Sorry !

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    67

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    I come here to learn,
    and I've learned a lot here-

    I agree with Jim when he says that conversations about bokeh are a relatively new phenomenon,
    and discussions usually revolve about the quality of out of focus areas experienced by people using miniature formats.

    I agree with him when he says that bokeh from larger formats is generally a given-
    although I don't have any exotic or antique glass, the quality of bokeh (tautological) from my standard large format lenses is superior.

    Bokeh is a word borrowed from the Japanese,
    that is not to say that conversations about the same phenomenon haven't been part of photography and optics for centuries now-
    as has been demonstrated and referenced on this thread, despite protestations to the contrary.

    Bokeh is something I've only recently become acquainted with;
    shooting interiors using sharp wide angles,
    you tend not to come into contact with it too much.

    I'd much prefer, as a photographer, to talk about the qualities of the picture
    than become bogged down in a circular argument about antique lens design,
    which wasn't part of the premise of the original proposition.

    Photographers use lenses, get to know their character, and make lens selections based on the pictorial qualities (among other things) they want to achieve.
    I'll hang on any piece of useful information, and become irked by people who seem to pick niggardly contrary arguments seemingly for their own sake,
    and without making a positive addition to the conversation.

    Photographers generally don't design lenses-

    Last year, I did a little test, almost as an afterthought-
    so the two pictures don't match particularly well-
    the P55 wasn't scanned very well either...

    I post it here just to prove my interest in the subject...




    The projector lens didn't have a diaphragm,
    but the Nikkor /1.2 was shot wide open too.

    My interpretation of 'bokeh', the quality of out of focus areas of an image,
    includes rendition of those areas by lenses exhibiting abberations,
    including some of the portrait lenses mentioned.

    They might not have been designed with 'bokeh' in mind,
    but photographers have used them with 'bokeh' in mind.

    I really don't see the difficulty with this,
    and would really like to get back on track,
    and pick up some crumbs from those here who know what they are talking about,
    and are willing to add to the conversation-


    joseph
    Excellent 'Intermezzo' of this thread, Joseph, thank you!

    Nice to see that members also use their lenses, and not only talk about them.

    Sidney

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,480

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I'll take the blame for any distraction. It was my post which diverted the subject.

    Oops ! Sorry !
    When it comes to me, you have my absolution. Notice that the OP was content with the heated debate, that says it all.
    It is incredible how emotions can take over when someone dares to say - there is no old lens known in the world designed specifically for good bokeh. Wow! On baricades..!

  8. #108

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    34

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    When it comes to me, you have my absolution. Notice that the OP was content with the heated debate, that says it all.
    It is incredible how emotions can take over when someone dares to say - there is no old lens known in the world designed specifically for good bokeh. Wow! On baricades..!
    For a while i was wondering if I was going to have to apologize for starting such a controversial thread :-)

    Either way, I think in the days where nearly the entire spectrum of photography is permeated with ultra-flat imagery, issues and thoughts regarding depth of field are worth while, regardless of how they start or where they end up.

  9. #109

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    "SO someone invented the internal iris aperture."
    That would be CC Harrison about 1857...US Patent 21,470. See my article here:

    http://www.antiquecameras.net/1857ccharrisonlens.html

    Dan

    Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

  10. #110

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    59

    Re: On the subject of Depth of Field/"Bokeh"

    HTDHTT.
    \This link popped up during my searching the DC lenses from Nikon...
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...kkor/n32_e.htm

    it mentions their design thinking (brief, non technical) on their Defocus Control...

    Richard
    silverprankster.com

Similar Threads

  1. DOF question
    By Joe_1422 in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2012, 16:43
  2. Depth of Field, Depth of Focus, and Film Flatness
    By steve simmons in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 7-Jan-2006, 19:30
  3. Depth of Field, Depth of Focus, and Film Flatness
    By robc in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6-Jan-2006, 14:44
  4. To owners of 600mm Fujinon C lens
    By Marco Annaratone in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 3-Oct-2005, 10:53
  5. Diffraction and Lens Flare
    By Paul Mongillo in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2000, 13:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •