Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Color photography with black and white film

Re: Color photography with black and white film

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    You're on your way! Here's the site with the merging technique I use: http://www.vintagephoto.tv/photoshop_assembly.shtml It includes all steps for moving and merging the layers seamlessly. It's actually a lot simpler than the number of steps makes it look like in the tutorial. It's just that he's has spelled out every little detail (always a good thing ).
    I'm close but... Ups...
    Your link doesn't work.
    :-o

+++

Some two hours and eighteen minutes later...
    I thought, I´d try to adjust the pictures by cropping just a bit here and there at a bigger magnification...

Finally, after giving up color photography years ago as inherently grainless (and hence disappointing to me), I feel now, I´m on the right track towards an interesting rendition of grain in color:

Ladies & Gentlemen, this is Ilford Delta 3200 in Rodinal (APH09) 1+25 on an 18x24 mm negative.

:-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tri-First Success. Upgrade.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	156850

I know nothing about Photoshop CE, I have CS6 and CC. But if it's in CE as well, you should be able to go to FILE -> SCRIPTS -> Load Files into Stack, and then select your 3 scans and check the box that says "Attempt to Automatically Align Sources Images."

Once those three images are in the file and aligned, I personally just select the whole canvas and copy each layer into a new file, dropping them directly into the R G and B channels.

I've done this a few times, looking for very specific times when water is moving just the right amount with debris in it to make certain images, but it's difficult. Here's one I've done:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'm afraid I have only this under FILE:

Name:	cats.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	156856

The plants in the water look lovely.

Darn - but, did they potentially put it under the "Automate" tab? For a couple of years I taught a Photoshop Elements course and they did some weird things with the menus and UI compared to the full version, like moving or combining things in different places, which was really annoying!

If I recall correctly, this is the way Sandy mentioned he did this a couple of pages and a few years ago.
    I tried to check it but as you see, my Photoshop skills are quite unsufficient, so I failed.

This is what I find under FILE > AUTOMATE:

Name:	cats.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	156858

multiplex

i have cs2 and i find it easy just to put them carefully 1 ontop of the other using opacity to make sure they are aligned,
    using the cropping tool to trim a little off so they align right afterwards, opening a new file and just dropping them in manually
    into color channels. i do this with rgb filtered images as well as cmy files, i guess it takes a little extra effort but it works OK ..

At some point you could get Photoshop CS2 free, I found this tutorial here but I can't vouch for it:
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/download-in...ws-mac-1445595

Might be good to try. I am pretty sure the Stack command is in CS2 - way back when I started using PS that is the version I used.

You can definitely manually do it (and jnanian's suggestion on using the opacity on the layer to help is spot on) but I figure it might be worthwhile to try installing CS2. They can probably run concurrently anyway in case you want to return to CE, whatever that is.

Last time I checked (which, granted, is quite some time ago) CS2 could still be downloaded. Note that you need to pull a little trick to get it to work on 64bit Windows:
    1. When installing, change your path to C:\progra~2\..... and install. It should work.
    2. Copy the installer to your local drive. Right click Setup.exe, Properties > Compatibility tab > Run this in compatibility mode. Choose XP SP2. Click OK. Run Setup.exe
    (from here)
    Also note that CS2's window management doesn't mesh well with more recent versions of Windows (8.x, 10); I often get the various Photoshop Windows not being placed on top, or the opposite: remaining on top even if focus is shifted to another program. Minimizing the main Photoshop Window and then maximizing it again works, but it can be a bit annoying at first. However, I have found the program to be entirely usable.

I understand that you are trying to make a color photograph more black and white in the old stylistics, right? I would advise you to start by trying to look for various phone applications such as Photo lab, Light room or Capture One Pro they allow you to edit and enhance photos. If you plan to edit through a computer, then there are two choices: an online editor or a special program such as Photoshop. Personally i don't really know how to use Photoshop and that is why I prefer online services. In general, there are a huge number of services that allow you to customize and edit images online, but not every service can colorize black and white photos, especially if they're old. I have my personal favorite service that allows me to colorize black and white photos in just a few seconds. They use a special AI technology that is constantly training to make the result as quick as possible.
    Last edited by DravenJohnson; 17-Jul-2020 at 13:10.

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik Berger View Post
    That was really cool!
    Are the 25A, 58 and 47B-filters the optimal combination?
    Yes that is the optimal set for 3 color separations.

This was used for Dye transfer especially, as well. See the color work of Paul Outerbridge in the 1930's.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com