Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stirbar magnet in the tube: Anyone ever try it?

Stirbar magnet in the tube: Anyone ever try it?

I work in a drug and development lab and teflon-covered magnets driven by magnetic stirrers are ubiquitous in the building. So, has the Darkroom crowd ever entertained the idea of popping a stirbar in a flat bottomed container?

This is a rather chaotic plenum of flow and might be a cheap alternative to "lift" (if you guys start bustin me up with those 'lift and separate' jibes I'm not going to tell you how well this works.

Re: Stirbar magnet in the tube: Anyone ever try it?

Use to use them to mix developers and fixers but not to develop film or prints.

Yes, I've considered it, but no, I haven't done it.

I worked in several research labs during my undergradate and graduate school days and used magnetic stirrers all the time. For a while I thought about getting one of those combination hotplate/stirrers for mixing my D-76, but lately I haven't been having much trouble getting the powder to go into solution. I've never had an problem with other powder chemicals, so the need just isn't there now.

If you meant using a magnetic stirrer for agitating during film development, no way. Surely it would cause nasty standing flow patterns.

wfwhitaker

What kind of container are they intended to be used in, if not flat-bottomed?

Well that was my point. I've read that a tube processing leaves streaks unless the agitation is in two dimensions (I guess that is what the lift does when the tubes are in a processor e.se bobbing on the surface of a water bath).
    I was thinking of suspending my 120mm film spirals (three at atime) in one container above a spacer with the magnet. for the 4x5 I was wondering how the stirbar would operate with a combitank or some such (not a big deal bec small volume of developer). Maybe no advantage for vertical stirring if there is streaking. Just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by emo supremo View Post
    Well that was my point. I've read that a tube processing leaves streaks unless the agitation is in two dimensions (I guess that is what the lift does when the tubes are in a processor
    The Lift on a Jobo is there purely to dump the solution from the tank at the end of a process step and to funnel the next solution into the tank without having to remove the tank from the processor. It doesn't do anything during the process step.

Really!? See, I thought it was for creating a chaotic wobble so the print doesn't get circular streaks. One step closer on the path to pure knowledge.
    I used to use drums with a table -top drive motor but both tubes I tried leaked. I'm going to try a Jobo or BTZS and keep the convention with horizontal processing with less chemical. I'm going to try mixing up my own color reversal chemistry again. Any problems with neg development or paper development in these two brand/manufacturers?

BTW: having never used one of the aforementioned tubes I am a little worried about the weight of a filled tank. In the forefront of my mind is a post on this forum about the handle breaking of someone's lift...sound like the arm should be treated like a fuse. Is my memory on target i.e the handle is breakable or subjected to large loads or something like that...is that true? I think it was a jobo CP or some such processor.

They sound neat. Do I want one of them too?

Hey, I'm losing the light. Gotta go make negatives. Thanks for thinking out loud with me.

Quote Originally Posted by emo supremo View Post
    BTW: having never used one of the aforementioned tubes I am a little worried about the weight of a filled tank. In the forefront of my mind is a post on this forum about the handle breaking of someone's lift...sound like the arm should be treated like a fuse. Is my memory on target i.e the handle is breakable or subjected to large loads or something like that...is that true? I think it was a jobo CP or some such processor.

They sound neat. Do I want one of them too?
    I did break a Lift handle once, though it was partly my fault. They're a bit dainty, but can be reasonably durable in use if you keep the drum weight within reason, are careful not to jerk the handle with lots of weight on the other end, and when lifting and lowering, you support the tank and the long bracket on which it sits, from underneath.

They're neat.