Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exposures over a second - timing?

Exposures over a second - timing?

I will offer 4 technical solutions: (1) Take a second mortgage and buy the Linhof Prontor Professional timer #022502 ($640 at B&H). (2) Find an old, used Autoknips timer 1/2-30 seconds mechanical shutter release. I found one for $30 on ebay. (Previous poster alluded to this device. Beautiful little German-crafted gizmos.) (3) Digital countdown timer from Radio Shack ($20). They are also sold in kitchen supply retailers. (4) "One-Mississippi, Two-Mississippi", ...

This question keeps poping up...and all of us are looking for an inexpensive solution for long exposure. I agree that a simple count will get you close enough, but it sure would be nice to have a simple timer similar to the prontor but not be worth more than our cameras. A great solution, which I never took the time to build, is to have a Canon EOS remote control with timer and battery self contained which would control a solenoid working the cable release. It would cost under $100 and would be ideal for even longer exposures, I think up to 5 + minutes. If someone goes through the trouble of locating the right solenoid and perfects this, maybe they will be kind enough to share it with the list....

jadphoto

Gavin,

Any of the above will work. If you opt for counting the seconds don?t use the old one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi. You?ll get much better photos by counting one-Ansel Adams, two-Ansel Adams.......

Joe Dickers

Note to Joe: One Ansel Adams...two Ansel Adams...works better with the old thick emulsion films. You get better results with modern films by using one John Sexton...two John Sexton...

Regards,

Or, for automatic reciprocity compensation: One elephant, two big elephants, 3 giant elephants, 4 enormous elephants, 5 extremely big elephants, 6 extremely giant ..... etc.

i don't believe how unsophisticated you guys are. jeez. counting "one elephant..." could result in gross errors. don't you know that the right way to do it is count "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, etc....???"

HA!!!!

~chris jordan (Seattle)

Using a cheap quartz metronome set to 120 (2 beats per second--then subdivide to 4 or more beats per second in your head) for exposures in this range can be quite accurate. Musicians require precision on the order of thousandths of a second.

Ansel Adams used a metronome in the darkroom to time dodging and burning exposures before they were commonly built into enlarging timers.

Pete Andrews' method of "One elephant, two big elephants, 3 giant elephants, etc." has the advantage that it takes care of reciprosity at the same time that it takes care of exposure. Very nice.

Set the shutter for one second and make three exposures. Tell everyone not to move. Seriously, with the failure of the law of reciprocity, if my meter indicated 3 seconds, I would give it about 10 seconds for black and white film. At these exposure times, being off a bie isn't going to hurt, it may even help.

Doug Paramore - Very good (!) inside joke.