Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooke lenses reissued

Re: Cooke lenses reissued

Time to go buy a couple lottery tickets!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Don't get in too much of a hurry. This from their website:
    "We have temporarily suspended production of our large format lenses."l

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rabe View Post
    Don't get in too much of a hurry. This from their website:
    "We have temporarily suspended production of our large format lenses."l
    Pay no attention to that, it has been on their site since they discontinued them a few years ago and hasn't been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...I wrote Cooke...asking that it consider a modern 158mm "Series VIIc." No reply yet...
    Well, Barara Lowry of Cooke replied to my message yesterday afternoon. She answered as follows:

"...They say all good things come to those who wait. For what it's worth, I'm waiting too. I would love to see us do a modern redesign of that little wide angle gem. All I can say is that it is not forgotten, but other lenses (that pay the bills) must come first.

The good news is that we are starting up production of our PS945 again in the near future. No set date for release yet, but I will be sending out an email in the near future when I have concrete information to share..."

So, while she didn't mention 8x10 or 4x5 versions of the XVa, Barbara motivated me to continue being patient about the 158mm lens.

Well, Barara Lowry of Cooke replied to my message yesterday afternoon. She answered as follows:

"...They say all good things come to those who wait. For what it's worth, I'm waiting too. I would love to see us do a modern redesign of that little wide angle gem. All I can say is that it is not forgotten, but other lenses (that pay the bills) must come first.

The good news is that we are starting up production of our PS945 again in the near future. No set date for release yet, but I will be sending out an email in the near future when I have concrete information to share..."

So, while she didn't mention 8x10 or 4x5 versions of the XVa, Barbara motivated me to continue being patient about the 158mm lens.
    What is so special about the 158mm lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    What I've named the 158mm "Series VIIc" would be a modern, multicoated, Copal 1-shuttered version of Cooke's 100-degree Series VIIb. An f/6.5 wide-field optic that would easily cover 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 inch negatives with plenty of room for movements. And, having been optimized like the recent XVa version was, it would undoubtedly exhibit incredible resolution, contrast and freedom from flare. The perfect wideangle for a "whole plate" camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    It covers 8x10 with plenty of room for movements and is a tiny sharp gem... I just had Grimes mount the only coated example I've ever seen into a Copal 1 and my first tests look excellent...

It is rare, small, reasonable sharp and has good coverage. Mine is not for sale

What I've named the 158mm "Series VIIc" would be a modern, multicoated, Copal 1-shuttered version of Cooke's 100-degree Series VIIb. An f/6.5 wide-field optic that would easily cover 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 inch negatives with plenty of room for movements. And, having been optimized like the recent XVa version was, it would undoubtedly exhibit incredible resolution, contrast and freedom from flare. The perfect wideangle for a "whole plate" camera.
    If they make it I'll certainly consider it!

But... what's the difference between a Series III and a Series VIIc? I'm thinking of the old Wollensak Series III 6 1/4" (159mm) f/9.5 Raptar, which also seems to easily cover whole plate.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    ...what's the difference between a Series III and a Series VIIc? I'm thinking of the old Wollensak Series III 6 1/4" (159mm) f/9.5 Raptar, which also seems to easily cover whole plate.
    I'm not familiar with the resolution/contrast performance of that Raptar, but am fairly certain it wasn't designed recently or multicoated. Also, there's a difference between illuminating and maintaining MTF to or near the edge of a circle of illumination.