Thread: linhof tech V (5x7)weight and lens question

linhof tech V (5x7)weight and lens question

Does anyone know the total lb weight of a Linhof super tech v 5x7 with the rang e finder and...what the lens range is with the cammed range finder as well as wi thout ? I need to know how wide I can go with this camera...the wide angle dosn' t need to necesserally be cammed. Thank you. E.

I have a series of Linhof publications and I will be damned if I can find the weight of the 5x7 camera. It simply is not listed. I have heard others say that it is in the range of 9#. The 4x5 Technika from the literature reports the weight at 6# 1oz. When I put one on the scale it was closer to 6 3/4#. Maybe someone else can provide you with the accurate weight.

Using the drop bed and the special close focusing knob, the 5x7 camera is listed as being able to use a 75mm and a 90mm wide angle lens. However, the book lists the smallest lens that can used with the coupled rangfinder as 120mm. Concurrently, the viewfinder that fits externally on top of the camera only goes down to a 120mm perspective. Hope this helps.

I have a Super Technika 5 5x7 and it weighs just over 12lbs. I would think the Technika 5 would be a bit less. It's been said that a 72mm XL will work with this camera.

http://www.greenspun.com/com/qtluong/photography/lf/roundup5x7.html

Per the factory the Super Technika V, less lens, weighed 5.3 kg = 11.7 lb. The factory did recommend the 001011 lensboard for 90mm lenses. There was no recommendation on wider lenses.

Emile,

Yes you can use shorter than 90 mm wide angle lenses on a Linhof Technika 5x7, but without front movements. You need to push the front standard all the way in, drop the bed, and use the four screws on the rear assembly to do your focusing and movements. No geared assistance. It's painful, but works for some situations. If you are in the New York city area, check out Photo Gizzmo on Christopher Street and talk to Louis. Cheers,

Both Louis at Photo Gizzmo and I agree. As does the factory.

You can't use a 75mm on a 57 Technika and Geoffrey's way is sure to result in shots with a lens out of alignment with the film plane. The back focus is so small with a 75mm that this is asking for trouble.

Bob's right. It's not recommended. Did Linhof invent that trouble?