Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm Tone Ink Jet paper?

Cool Warm Tone Ink Jet paper?

I'm asking this question here rather than a largely digital forum because I suspect that most of the members here know what real warmtone photo paper looks like.

Harmon sells a warm tone paper. Very expensive. I've not seen any photos printed on this paper.

A GOOGLE search for warm tone ink jet paper turns up anecdotal evidence that one of the Ilford papers "has a noticeable warm tone." Ilford Galerie smooth pearl. This paper is very inexpensive.

Red River Paper has this offering: 62lb. GreenPix™ Photo Matte. I tried some of Red River's papers in my Epson 1280 with Red River profiles and did not like the results.

Is there a nice inkjet equivalent to good warm tone traditional photo paper?

OH, now I see that paper is discussed in Digital Processing. Sorry.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Re: Warm Tone Ink Jet paper?

Arista has a double sided warm tone matte paper for a very good price. I like it with my 3800 for certain color work surprisingly. I haven't tried it with B&W since that is mostly all darkroom work for me. It's worth getting a pack to try...

Hi Wayne,
    I love the regular Harmon FB AL Baryta paper. It isn't cheap but it is wonderful (possible understatement) for both color and black and white. They make it in a warm tone but I haven't tried it yet, maybe others can comment on it. Here is a link to their page with a description.
    http://www.harman-inkjet.com/product...OTO+BARYTA++FB

www.gladesgallery.com

I did some beta testing of the warmtone Harmon FB - it's awesome stuff. The regular Harmon FB is slightly warm anyway and this a lot more so. I think both are outstanding and produce prints with very similar depth and feel to traditional wet prints on glossy Ilford MC paper (both normal and warmtone).

I will second the warmtone Harmon glossy FB. Beautiful. But the caveat - I like SMOOTH paper, like traditional glossy dried mat black and white, i.e., no texture. Every other so called glossy fiber paper has texture.

Date yourself section - how many of you ever dried a glossy print GLOSSY on a ferotype plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    ...how many of you ever dried a glossy print GLOSSY on a ferotype plate?
    Wasn't that fun! Certainly helped to get one's head around imperfections in one's prints...

Ed & Don: Guilty on all counts.

Right now the only wet prints I have are from the mid-70s. Agfa Brovira #2 Luster. That should tell you where my eyes and heart are.

Thanks for the good information on the Harmon paper. I guess I need to start a paper fund. Make some worthy negatives. Use it sparingly. I'll also try the Arista paper. For some reason I never think to look for ink jet supplies at Freestyle.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Ed & Don: Guilty on all counts.

Right now the only wet prints I have are from the mid-70s. Agfa Brovira #2 Luster. That should tell you where my eyes and heart are.

Thanks for the good information on the Harmon paper. I guess I need to start a paper fund. Make some worthy negatives. Use it sparingly. I'll also try the Arista paper. For some reason I never think to look for ink jet supplies at Freestyle.
    Wayne,

Rather than starting a paper fund I would reccomend you consider upgrading your printer. If the 1280 is in good condition you can sell that easily. I've owned the 1280 and compared to today's printers it is really not capable for producing excellent results.

As for warm toned papers there are some good choices out there and I've examined the ones mentioned earlier. All are good but at least for monochrome printing the look of the print will never quite live up to papers from the past that contained cadmium.

There are so many choices out there that you really have no choice other than to purchase samples or small packages to test with.

One of the things that I was involved with several years ago was the creation of a local group of inkjet printers. We would pool our papers and allow other members to purchase sheets from each other to try different brands, etc. You might could do the same.

On the other hand a nice pure palladium print developed in warm postassium oxalate is hard to beat!

Moab Entrada Natural White is one of my favorite warm toned papers, BTW. As I said you have a lot of options.

Don Bryant

Thank you Don! You may have hit the nail on the head. I love the look of Moab Entrada natural. I didn't think it was considered a warm tone paper. Shows to go you I have much to learn. My search is over.

As for the 1280, it died.

Is this Forum the best or what?
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Moab Entrada Natural is my favorite cotton rag paper. I guess you could consider any cotton rag paper without optical brighteners as warmtone. If you're going to tone or split tone your digital files with any warm tones, a paper with high levels of optical brightening agents (OBAs) is going to 'fight" the toning.