Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warm Tone Ink Jet paper?

Re: Warm Tone Ink Jet paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Bill,

Bob McCarthy and myself use Hewlett-Packard Vivera ink in HP-Photosmart Pro B9180 printers.

We have installed the proper profiles for the paper in both of our printers.

Both of us experience bronzing with that combination of paper and ink. We were told that it was a characteristic of the light gray Vivera ink on that paricular paper.

Bob uses a spray specifically designed to eliminate the problem. I mat my prints and put them under a plastic sleeve, and the bronzing is not noticeable.

Do you have another fix?
    I don't have an HP, but my good friend and outstanding printer John Dean does. He mentioned a new paper setup to be downloaded that used more GO for these papers that solved his bronzing. Take a look here and see what you think-
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/D.../message/94020

I also like the Ilford a lot, but the curl from rolls is unmanageable. This trend away from the availablity of large sheets is simply ruling some of these papers out.

Tyler
    http://www.custom-digital.com/

Tyler,

I wish we were using your friends Z3100(3200?). Unfortunately the B9180 has the ink compliment of the Z2100 of only having 8 inks and no Gloss optimizer.

The bronzing is not too bad with Galeria Gold Silk (much better than pearl). A dose of spray, just about knocks it out.

To the original poster looking for a warmish tone paper, Silk fits the bill unless your looking for a "strong warm color". Silk has an ivory colored base, no "brighteners" from what I can tell.

What I especially like is Galeria Silk is roughly half the price of the Harmon F/A papers<G>.

bob

Bob, don't know my HPs, sorry. Wish I did have one too though.
    Believe it or not, the Ilford is only warm by our "newish" inkjet materials standards. It measures nearly dead neutral. Also, very much like the paper base of many silver papers we'd have called neutral in the past, and a good match for even the whitest matte board.
    But yeah, next to Premium Luster for example. looks warm.
    Nice stuff. Personally not a fan of the Harmans, looks like RC to me, but many others like it a lot.
    Tyler

Tyler, I would agree. Color is relative, we fanned out a couple of papers, most are a very bright, some almost blue -white (OTB content high). Against these, Silk looked yellow/ivory.

It's my profile too, my ink profile adds some warmth. I put that one on ES's printer for him so we would have the same experience. I'm not using black inks only, but the composite setting. The way I have it tweeked is the highlights are just warm, just a tiny bit, the shadows warm up more. Nice look and not over the top.

But it's nothing like the Portriga from my past. I've noticed some new papers out with "warm" in the label, I would assume these have more "color".

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post

But it's nothing like the Portriga from my past....

bob
    oh man, in some ansco 130 with benzatriazole for the restrainer instead of pot bromide, selenium toned just right... to die for.
    Tyler

Bob,

I live in Houston, Cypress to be exact. Perhaps I could see some prints sometime? Discuss printing hands on? Talking is one thing. Show me works a lot better.

Right now I'm using an HP 7310 all-in-one printer with either 99 color photo or 100 gray photo inks and HP Premium Plus soft gloss paper and the HP profile. I will try the Moab Entrada 190. I don't trust the 300 to feed through my printer.

I guess if I want warmtone I'll have to try a software solution. I need to get back in the darkroom.

Thanks!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Octogenarian

Wayne (Venchka),

Bob, Glenn, and myself get together almost every Sat. morning. If the weather conditions aren't suitable for photographing, we meet for breakfast, compare prints, and gab about photography. Or, we might visit the Amon Carter museum in Ft.Worth. A few Saturdays ago, it was rainy and overcast, so we visited a couple of camera stores in DFW, just to see what was new.

This morning, we met Larry Stephens in Grapevine and showed him how to operate his newly acquired 4X5 monorail camera. Took a few shots in the railroad yard while we were there. We always make an enjoyable morning of it.

I know that you are aware of our Sat. morning group. I discussed it with you in the past. In fact, the Zone VI tripod that you purchased from me, formerly belonged to Bob. I don't believe we are willing to drive three hundred miles to Houston on a Sat. morning. The next move is up to you.

Thanks Eugene! I'll get there one of these days. I get home on alternate weekends and my Honey Do list is pretty long. I haven't forgotten.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Consider Museo Silver Rag. I turned to it to print a series of B&W European cities images after my favorite Agfa Multicontrast Classic was discontinued. It has a warm base and with either the Epson 3800 or the HPz3100 takes warm inks very nicely.

I find that most of the Baryta papers have a base that is too bright and cold to take warm inks without looking "off." A possible exception is Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which has a warmer base than the Harman Baryta Glossy or the Hahnemehle Fine Art Baryta.

Cheers,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    More like ferro-cooked. What was the name of those big rotating drum dryers with the hypo stained cloth that held the print against the shiny surface?
    Pako drum dryers!

Ah the memories...

"Some day my prints will come..."