Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods

Re: Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods

I have never tried a Ries, only viewed pictures online. They look very nice. That being said I found a great deal on a Berlebach and absolutely love the tripod. No issues with it at all. In fact you can get away shooting 4x5 without a head.

I have since purchased a FLM head with tilt lock for it. A great setup.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've used both. The Berlebach is very nice. The Ries is even better.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I have owned and used both. They are each wonderful tripods and I have found both companies to be great to deal with.

I prefer the Ries for the leg locks and the Ries heads. If leg locks are not important to you and if you don't want to use a Ries head then Berlebach is a great choice. The leveling head on the Berlebach is a nice feature too.

VS a great Gitzo carbon.. I use mine up to 11x14

I have both. Haven't used the Ries much, got it recently from a forum member. They are really different. The Ries is a beautiful machine. Very well made, fine design, top notch hardware and engineering. They didn't scrimp on anything. It's a bit heavy, and takes a bit longer to set up (it has twice as many leg clamps).

My Berlebach is not as nicely made. They used less expensive materials, the hardware quality is not even close to the Ries. It costs MUCH less. It works well. It is faster for me to set up the Berlebach. But mainly it's lighter, and that makes a huge difference to me if I'm going to be carrying gear for awhile. I got a tripod strap from eBay that makes carrying it very easy, and I can use the self leveling top instead of a head if the movements aren't too extreme-- saving more weight. For me, they are both great (I like wood tripods), but they're best at different things.

The Ries can be used without a head since the leg locks let you level it. Other designs almost demand a head, preferably a 3 way leveling head to get things level. The Ries is a bit of an uncompromising design - it gives a solid, steady platform to hold heavy cameras with intuitive and well thought controls. But there are no trade-offs - they sacrifice other attributes that might matter to you. Although if you work with large, heavy cameras, you could build a good case for this set of trade offs being at a very good place. DJ

If you've got a big Ries and need a nice, cheap carrying case for it, here's a thread you should read. Still thanking civich for the OP. And the bag's still going strong 5 years later.

Charley

I got the Berlebach back when it was an inexpensive alternative tripod. It is pretty, but I don't care for it. For LF I use a beat-up old Manfroto or a gigantic old converted wooden surveyor's tripod.

I haven't used a Berlebach to compare, but both my Ries have given excellent service.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White