Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods

Re: Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods

Note, that before I started this thread I had searched for both names and missed this important hit started by Rob "John Henry" Rothman back in 1990 which describes good comparisons between these two tripods. If you are interested in this then you should also look for his thread with BERLEBACH in the title.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    With my 8x10 on my back, I weigh mighty close to 300 pounds (okay, maybe only 290lb). I can trust the Ries to help me maneuver over rough steep ground...such the hike I took up from Yosemite Valley on last Saturday -- a 1000 foot (vertical) climb up a scree slope with a creek crossing and snow to cross.

It is a sturdy son-of-a-gun.

Vaughn
    Too bad i did not make it up there that weekend so i could have joined you with one of my Walnut tripods and the 11x14!

Jim

Had two Berlebachs but sold one (here in fact) that was taller and had the ball head. Kept the shorter three legger for travel. Also have a Ries with the two way head and it's my main tripod for 4x5 and 8x10.

What I really like about the Ries over the Berlebachs is that I can lock the leg spread which makes moving the tripod around easier while composing and also is steadier imho. The head is also quite solid. The ball head of the Berlebach was the main selling point for me even though the one I kept doesn't have it

If price is a factor, the Berlebachs have the edge.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lum View Post
    Had two Berlebachs but sold one (here in fact) that was taller and had the ball head. Kept the shorter three legger for travel. Also have a Ries with the two way head and it's my main tripod for 4x5 and 8x10.

What I really like about the Ries over the Berlebachs is that I can lock the leg spread which makes moving the tripod around easier while composing and also is steadier imho. The head is also quite solid. The ball head of the Berlebach was the main selling point for me even though the one I kept doesn't have it

If price is a factor, the Berlebachs have the edge.
    Fred,

Berlebach has lots of different models in lots of sizes. In each size series the factory offers a choice of no leg spread lock adjustments or variable leg spread lock adjustments.

Here in the USA we only import and stock models with the leg spread lock adjustment. The drawback to having that control is that it adds a little weight to the tripod. The benefit is that you don't have to use a chain, string or rope to limit the leg spread angles.

From your statement it appears that you had a version without the leg spread lock adjustments. Or do you mean that once you have set the leg angle you can lock the leg at that angle so it will not spread or fold from that angle? If so then that is a feature of the Berlebach UNI series which is the larger Berelbach tripod series.

Bob,

I had the spread stops, not locks. The defined leg angles was fine for awhile because it was quick to set. I now prefer the Ries locks where I can lock the legs at any spread but really miss the Berlebach leveling head.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lum View Post
    Bob,

I had the spread stops, not locks. The defined leg angles was fine for awhile because it was quick to set. I now prefer the Ries locks where I can lock the legs at any spread but really miss the Berlebach leveling head.
    The Berlebach UNI series does that and a leveling ball is available. But as the Uni series is much heavier it is also more expensive.

what are trying to do Bob ? I almost have my GAS under control

To resurrect and old thread, I have a Berlebach Report 2042, a Ries J100 and A100. I also have one of the black Tiltalls and 2 large Gitzos. The Gitzos I bought when I did interiors and need more height than I could get from the Ries. They now sit in the corner of the studio. The Ries J100 I bought in 1989 and is still my main tripod. I've bought and sold many a tripod over the last 25 years, and always kept the Ries. I bought the Berlebach through this forum and just ordered a center column with a 3/8" screw. I'll see when it comes in how it handles with the larger cameras. I've had an 8x10 Deardorff on the J100 Ries with their J200 head with no issues. I recently bought an A100 in great shape for the 8x10 through this forum and just ordered a new A200 head from Ries. They said their new castings are lighter and better than their old ones. I can't wait for it to come in and try it out. I also have a J250 head, but always end up with the J200 head as it's lighter, steadier and easier to use. It's easy to level left/right with the tripod legs. You can keep carbon, if I only had one tripod; it would be a Ries. L

I used a Berlebach for field for several months a few years ago. I no longer have that tripod... traded it for a Al tripod. I don't regret it for a minute. I find the Al tripod is more flexible and gives me more freedom in my set-up. Plus if I remember correctly, my Berlebach was a pain to carry. Everyone's experience is different, so best you can do is try a wooden tripod if you find one and compare it to an Al or CF tripod and see which one gives you the best value for the money.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I've had both. Reis wins hands down.