Thread: Prices for a repair of a shutter

Prices for a repair of a shutter

Hi all.

Last week, I did a bad movement and my Compur shutter fell to the ground. Fortunately, the lens and the Linhof board are OK, but the shutter got a bit "opened" - what makes me think it was not in perfect condition. So, I have decided to send it to a mechanic.

Asking this morning, I got a couple of offers: one of about 70EUR (95USD) and other of 120EUR (160USD), plus shipping costs.

Are those normal prices?

Re: Prices for a repair of a shutter

A routine service runs about $100 US plus any parts required for repair. The above prices do not seem unreasonable. L

If the shutter housing is cracked it may not be repairable. This would be pretty common with modern wide angle designs like a 90mm 5.6, 4.5, 8.0 or 6.8 lens from the major manufacturers. It would not be common on an ancient 90mm 6.8 Angulon type lens.

I guess the shutter it's only disassembled (don't know if this is the correct term) and nothing is cracked.

Thanks for your answers.

That is a REALLY old Compur shutter. Parts and repairs may be more then normal, if parts are available at the service center. They are not from Prontor Werke.

You can buy a similar fully working Compur shutter for far less than the repair costs, you'd only need to switch the scale. I have a couple that have never been used, one would have taken a front focus cell set (the scale's never been engraved) however it's ear-marked for a WA Dagor and is size #0, the other's a spare.

I think your shutter's a Compur #1 though, less common than the #0 but still plenty about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    That is a REALLY old Compur shutter. Parts and repairs may be more then normal, if parts are available at the service center. They are not from Prontor Werke.
    Well not that old Bob Deckel didn't release the Rimset Compur until the late 1920's and there's plenty of good working older Dial set Compurs, the oldest I use was made in 1913 and it's still smooth and accurate.

The older Rimset Compur shutters are real workhorses and reliable, most repair shops can fix them, they'll usually have basket cases to cannibalise for parts.

Have you tried putting it back together Domingo ? If nothings missing it's quite easy.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Well not that old Bob Deckel didn't release the Rimset Compur until the late 1920's and there's plenty of good working older Dial set Compurs, the oldest I use was made in 1913 and it's still smooth and accurate.

The older Rimset Compur shutters are real workhorses and reliable, most repair shops can fix them, they'll usually have basket cases to cannibalise for parts.

Have you tried putting it back together Domingo ? If nothings missing it's quite easy.

Ian
    Old is relative. I am 73 and that shutter was made between 79 and 69 years ago. If it is older then me, or almost as old, then it is old!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Old is relative. I am 73 and that shutter was made between 79 and 69 years ago. If it is older then me, or almost as old, then it is old!
    I think you seem to be agreeing Bob Older can still be reliable.

My point is though that it may be more economic to buy anther similar or post WII flash synched Compur #1 shutter, I have one in front of me that was a fraction of the price of a repair while I bought it purely for the shutter the 135mm Agfa Solinar lens is in nice condition so I've been reluctant to split it up. I also use a 1930 Compur with a coated CZJ Tessar and I find these older Compur shutters remarkably consistent

Ian

(Shrek)

Personally, before swapping out shutters, I would try to put that one back together and see if it still works... It looks like the locking ring simply turned and fell off. Put the chromed piece on first, making sure all the pins are in their proper slots and that it is properly seated, then put the trim on (match the inner bumps with the slots in the shutter body) and turn to lock.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    [...]
    [...]
    yes, I've tried with no success. I must confess I fear to touch something I should not.