Thread: San Pietro al Monte, Civate

Claudio Santambrogio

San Pietro al Monte, Civate

I did call, just to make sure they'd let me shoot with a tripod. "Sure, just no flash". So I lug all my equipment (currently I only own a Linhof Kardan Color - but I desperately long for some lighter field equipment…) one hour hiking up the steep path to the San Pietro al Monte monastery (662m), near Civate (Italy).

But as soon as I start mounting my large format camera, a concerned guardian asks me which magazine I am shooting for. "None, I am just shooting for myself - I am no professional" and he seems to be re-assured.

But after just 3 or 4 minutes he is over at my side again: "Is it going to take you any longer? There are visitors!". It doesn't help to stress that visitors should just wander about as if I wasn't there, I was certainly not going to ask anybody to move out of my shots - he feels extremely at unease seeing me fumble around under the darkcloth with my big camera.

I am allowed one hasty shot: not enough time to carefully compose the image, not enough time to carefully focus, not enough time to make sure the image circle would still cover the sheet after quite a lot of movements to summarily compensate for the perspective, not enough time to carefully study the difficult lighting conditions…

(The rest of the story is that I ask him if I may shoot with my "small camera" instead. That's no problem. I disassemble the beast, mount the Rolleiflex I always have with me on the tripod, and finish off the interior of the church in MF. He didn't dare saying anything anymore… Pictures will follow on Flickr.)

Re: San Pietro al Monte, Civate

Next time get a letter from the abbot giving permission... that should take care of any officious security people. From your one shot, it's worth going back.

Does anyone know if this is near the village of San Pietro, where John Houston filmed his controversil (at the time) documentary "The Battle for San Pietro?"

Claudio Santambrogio

John, no. The movie was shot near San Pietro Infine, while the monastery is located on the mountains above Civate.

Mark, I most definetly will go back - with a clear permission. It was jut very unfortunate the security folks felt so at unease - I don't even think they wanted to make it sound as if it was *forbidden*, they just didn't *want* me to shoot. A clear OK from the abbot should clear things up…